Newish Brewer! Need Quick Advice on Yeast Pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdombovy

Reaction score
Hello all! I am a relatively new home brewer with only five batches made (all 5ish gals.) I was lucky enough to inherit a sweet set up from my brother after he moved across the country so i figured I would try during quarantine! I have enjoyed it quite extensively and have been wanting to learn more and more every day. I have a question on yeast and a potential stuck fermentation with a recent recipe.

So I just did the following recipe:

- 6 lbs 2-Row
- 3 lbs Briess Pilsen
- 2.5 lbs flaked oats
- 1 lb flaked White Wheat
- 0.5 lb Carapils

Mash Temp: 156° F
Sparge Temp: 168° F

Expected OG: 1.064
Expected FG: 1.018

Preboil size: 7 Gal
Batch Size: 5.5 Gal

Yeast: WLP 067 (2 Vials)

- 1 oz Columbus hops 60 min
- 1 oz Citra hops 15 min
- 1 oz Amarillo Hops 15 min
- 1 oz Citra hops 1 min
- 1 oz Amarillo Hops 1 min
- 2 oz Citra Hops Dry Hop 7 Days
- 1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 7 Days
- 2 oz Citra Hops Dry Hop 4 Days
- 1 oz Amarillo Dry Hop 4 Days

Chilled wort in about 40 mins to 74 °F. Obtained an OG of 1.055, off from expected 1.064. Pitched two vials of WLP067. The last three batches I used a 1L starter with one vial but did not this time and I am wondering if that's going to cause me an issue. I am thinking that since my OG is lower than expected, the starter may not be as crucial, could be wrong. If I end up with a stuck fermentation (I will take a gravity reading at 72 hours) what are my options to not let this go to waste? Should I be preparing a WLP067 starter in the meantime? Dry yeast? Etc.

Appreciate any help!

IMO, 2 vials should be totally fine. Did fermentation kick off already? hows it looking?

So I forgot to mention when this all happened...lol

I made the batch yesterday and pitched the yeast around 8:15 PM. I checked this morning as I left for work (7:15 AM) and it looked like it hadn't kicked off yet. That is only about 11 hours or so and I know without starters there can be a lag. I also know that I may be getting ahead of myself here and should have a little more patience but I'd like to be ready in the case it is stuck after 3 days.

Last edited:
If the yeast was healthy (handled properly, good date) you should be ok without a starter. Give it more time - 11 hours is not very long.

If you didn't make a starter, then you should expect the lag time to be longer. With starters, you may get active fermentation in as little as a few hours. But with directly pitching yeast from a pouch or vial, it may take 24-48 hours to see signs of active fermentation. I expect two vials for that OG should be just fine. It is probably underpitched, but not enough to cause any problems. It will probably be bubbling away happily when you wake up tomorrow, if not when you get home tonight.

If you didn't make a starter, then you should expect the lag time to be longer. With starters, you may get active fermentation in as little as a few hours. But with directly pitching yeast from a pouch or vial, it may take 24-48 hours to see signs of active fermentation. I expect two vials for that OG should be just fine. It is probably underpitched, but not enough to cause any problems. It will probably be bubbling away happily when you wake up tomorrow, if not when you get home tonight.

I checked over lunch and there was some small bubbling at the top with the air lock popping ever so slowly. Hopefully its starting to go!

How often does one check the gravity throughout fermentation?

How often does one check the gravity throughout fermentation?

Check it when you think it might be done. Then again 2-3 days later. If it hasn't moved and is in the vicinity of what you were expecting, then attenuation is finished.

Check it when you think it might be done. Then again 2-3 days later. If it hasn't moved and is in the vicinity of what you were expecting, then attenuation is finished.

Yep, just try not to check it much more than that because each time you open your fermenter, you expose your beer to oxygen. Checking gravity twice won't introduce enough oxygen to kill your beer (unless you're brewing a NEIPA), and when you're new to brewing, it's better to err on the side of making sure fermentation is done so you don't end up with bottle bombs. But overall, work on minimizing the amount you open up your fermenter. I recommend waiting to do your first gravity check until 10-14 days after active fermentation began, when you think you're getting close to bottling day.

Yep, just try not to check it much more than that because each time you open your fermenter, you expose your beer to oxygen. Checking gravity twice won't introduce enough oxygen to kill your beer (unless you're brewing a NEIPA), and when you're new to brewing, it's better to err on the side of making sure fermentation is done so you don't end up with bottle bombs. But overall, work on minimizing the amount you open up your fermenter. I recommend waiting to do your first gravity check until 10-14 days after active fermentation began, when you think you're getting close to bottling day.
You were right. Here’s what I came home to -
BE0B27B1-0321-4910-B69D-DFC81EC9CD18.jpeg

PSA: That carboy handle is dangerous. Consider getting yourself a Brew Hauler or a milk crate for lifting and carrying.

It’s what I got with my “hand me down” kit from my brother so I haven’t known any better. I honestly think that looks like a better option and will likely buy one of those! It’s a pain to carry these with the handles that are on them. Thanks!

Last edited:
Regarding glass carboys and hauling them around, there are much lighter, safer, and easier to clean options available today that you may want to check into for next time. Some examples below...

Fermonster
Big Mouth Bubbler
Speidel

They are about $30-50 for a 7 gallon. I know free is better than $30-50, but there are real horror stories about carboys breaking.

Before going to a stainless fermenter, I used the Fermonster, which worked great.

Latest posts

Back