Newest member of the kegging club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumbergh

Reaction score
I kegged my first batch last night (festbier from the recipe forum). Things went smoothly minus the seal falling off of the lid into the keg. Good thing my wife noticed it right away. Thankfully I was in the kitchen so I dipped some tongs in star san and got it out quickly. Keg is on the gas and no leaks. The duotight fittings are quite nice.

Now I see why people switch to kegs. It took very little time from start to finish vs bottling. Cleaning bottles is my least favorite part. I still will bottle from time to time for giveaways.

I did have some keezer trouble which delayed things a bit. I got a used 5cf freezer (for free!) a few months ago for a keezer setup. While I was slowly getting all of the necessary parts for the keezer, I used it as a regular freezer. A few weeks ago on brew day, coincidentally, it died (this model had the reputation for a short life). Luckily I was able to get a mini fridge to temporarily use until I get another freezer.

Welcome to the club! Funny story about dropping stuff into kegs…I had a 3 year break from brewing, back surgery, local grain supply out of business, unemployed, then more back issues. Long story short, I brewed 20 gallons a couple weeks ago as life is back to normal. I had my 15 yo son force carb for me last night as I still have back issues. Tonight my dad stopped by to try his favorite beer. I know my hops had been kept frozen, but most were from 2018. We both agreed that it was very short on bitterness. I decided to add 1 1/2 oz Cascades in a bag with a weight. As I was getting ready to drop the hops, my 15 yo came in to see what I was doing. I didn’t notice in time that the cover o-ring stuck to the keg, then dropped in. He thought it was hilarious. I got a different o-ring, sanitized it, and reinstalled. Stuff happens.

I kegged my first batch last night (festbier from the recipe forum). Things went smoothly minus the seal falling off of the lid into the keg. Good thing my wife noticed it right away. Thankfully I was in the kitchen so I dipped some tongs in star san and got it out quickly. Keg is on the gas and no leaks. The duotight fittings are quite nice.

Now I see why people switch to kegs. It took very little time from start to finish vs bottling. Cleaning bottles is my least favorite part. I still will bottle from time to time for giveaways.

I did have some keezer trouble which delayed things a bit. I got a used 5cf freezer (for free!) a few months ago for a keezer setup. While I was slowly getting all of the necessary parts for the keezer, I used it as a regular freezer. A few weeks ago on brew day, coincidentally, it died (this model had the reputation for a short life). Luckily I was able to get a mini fridge to temporarily use until I get another freezer.

You mention duotight fittings. If on the fermenter, what sort is it?

Still tastes pretty green. Do I need to dump the 1st pint or so to clear whatever settled to the bottom?

Back