Newbie, Muscat Blanc/Nectarine blend question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasMuscat

Reaction score
So first time to the forum so I appreciate the knowledge of those who are already here! This is my third year of growing muscat blanc grapes in the Las Vegas area. This years crop will be a little short to produce a full wine that ins't blended so I was thinking of adding fruit (instead of shipping in grapes) to do a nice blend. I would like to blend nectarines with my muscato grapes. I have a press that will work on both grapes and fruit so my question is...

Might there be a way to press the fruit and grapes the same day to blend that day.. or must I ferment the fruit separate of the grapes and blend later... or even top off the grapes with the fruit juice? If it would work... I'd like to press everything on the same day and ferment all at once. Any thoughts on that?

I have not tried this particular combination but I typically do use a variety of ingredients together (fruit, herbs, spices, flowers). Occasionally, I do them in separate batches and blend afterwards - but that's rare. Here's my thinking/approach, fwiw.

First, I tend not to ferment only juice since the pulp will add body and mouthfeel depending on what I am fermenting. There are certainly cases where juice-only is an option, like apple, sometimes orange, or perhaps making a tea to add to a blend. Since yours is primary grapes and the fruit is adding something extra, this might be a case for the nectarine juice route fermenting separate or adding to the secondary as needed for the amount of fruit flavor you're looking for.

Second, I, personally, tend to ferment all at once - mostly out of simplicity. I am happy to experiment and accept what I get. Usually it works and when it doesn't quite make it, it's not off by so much that I care. I may make note and adjust the next time. If I were trying to perfect a combination, then, for sure I'd keep separate in initially (but might aggregate once I understood the proportions).

In the occasional times I do ferment in batches, it's because I am working with a strong flavor that might overpower. Rosemary is one such example. The difference between a cup and a half or quarter cup can be significant in the end product. And this certainly varies with what I am pairing with or from batch to batch of the same pairing. Safer to keep that separate until the last minute.

I am guessing you're working in larger batches from what you described but trying to juggle multiple small amounts will produce more waste unless you want to simply bottle the small amount of the leftovers that did not make the blend. Additionally, fermenting a couple/few small batches is always more cumbersome.

One final thought is that you can avoid the whole parallel or aggregated ferment question altogether and make an FPAC that you can flavor the wine with later. If you're looking for upping the volume more than a smidge, then this might not be the best approach but you might be able to stretch it a bit and use the FPAC to add more flavor to a weaker grape-only wine. << To some that might be heresy. I'm just saying it's an option.

Personally, I think you have options that are not significantly different. If you are looking for simplicity and willing to accept what you get, doing in a single batch is the way I'd go. But trust your gut.

Jeff, first off thank you for the reply. My thinking is that the amount of grapes I will have won't nearly get me towards making a 5 gallon batch. I'm about a month away before my grapes are ready. I have plenty of time to pick up a one or two gallon carboys so I might go that route so I have a bit more control over the ratio of grapes to additive fruit. My plan was to start pressing the grapes first, see where I wind up with quantity and then choose an appropriate container that I will fill the remaining amount with the secondary juice for a blended fermentation. Obviously the nectarines don't have the sugars/acids so I'd test initially and adjust as needed. Do you have a recommended yeast for a combination like this?

Ah, your approach makes sense. Thinking about the yeast here, and looking a bit closer to your grapes, personally, I might have gone with fermenting separately here. Your Muscat grapes are going to rank higher on the terpenes and your nectarines will bring a bit more of the fruit. I nearly exclusively use Lavlin yeasts so take this into consideration. For the grape must, something like Lavlin QA23 would be good if you wanted to focus on the terpenes. Lavlin 71B-1122 is another good choice with this grape. For the nectarines, Lalvin ICV-D47 or Lalvin K1-V1116 are great for this type of fruit producing fruity, tropical esters. If you wanted to ferment at the same time in the same batch, I might choose the Lavlin 71B-1122 which is a good balance between the 2 fruits and an overall solid yeast. Just my 2 cents.

So bare with my as this is going to be my first run with actual fruit and not a juice kit. Here's what I was thinking. The grapes will be destemmed and then immediately pressed with the juice going into a 3 gallon primary fermenter. The nectarine or maybe peach will then be pressed and juice will be added till the 3 gallon is topped off. Since this is my first go around.. I'll keep the calculations simpler. I'll add campden tablets to kill off any wild yeast, petic enzyme, and acid blend to help balance out the fruit, and maybe SO2 to help with browning? Check sugars and add as necessary. Give this 24 hours to sit and keep it cool, clear a bit. Then add yeast/yeast food. Rack after 4 days. Then ferment about a month. Let the fermentation complete. Rack again. Then add potassium sorbate and Kieselsol/Chitosan, back sweeten if necessary and bottle. That sound about right?

To your 3 gallons of must:
  1. ...add campden tablets to kill off any wild yeast,
  2. Wait 12 hours as KMeta will interfere with the pectic enzyme
  3. ...add pectic enzyme,
  4. Wait 12 hours as PE will interfere with the yeast
  5. ...and acid blend to help balance out the fruit, and maybe SO2 to help with browning(<< covered by KMeta)? Check sugars and add as necessary. (do this all last as the macerating fruit will alter levels and adjusting sugar may alter ph level - adjust sugar THEN adjust acid)
  6. Give this 24 hours to sit and keep it cool, clear a bit. (<< done)
  7. Then add yeast/half of the yeast food.
  8. Wait a few days or when SG drops by a third to a half (i.e., OG = 1.090, wait till between 1.060 and 1.045)
  9. Add remaining yeast nutrient
  10. Rack after 4 days. (or, better, when SG falls somewhere between 1.01 and 1.03 - don't go dry because you want it to have enough life in it to produce enough CO2 to fill the secondary's headspace unlearn airlock)
  11. Then ferment about a month. Let the fermentation complete. Rack again. Then add potassium sorbate and Kieselsol/Chitosan, back sweeten if necessary and bottle.

Well sounds like I'll be sending you a bottle when this is all done for a thank you! Do you think the acid blend will be okay for this go around or should I be more specific?

Back