Newbie mistake question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tangelo

Reaction score
Being my second batch, a stout, I pushed the air lock gasket into the fermentor while installing the air lock. Currently its during at the bottom and I don't have an airtight seal, though she is fermenting nicely a day later. I was thinking of waiting a few days then transferring to a secondary to retrieve the gasket and install an air lock. Any incites would be appreciated.

you should be fine with the amount of co2 being expelled to keep any nasties out. Id wrap some plastic wrap around the airlock where it meets the lid for some added caution

I did the same thing on my first batch. I siphoned all the beer out and took the bung out...put all the beer back in...and walla...properly aerated beer! It turned out awesome!

No worries. You should have sanitized it when you poured sanitizer on the underside of the lid. I think everyone does this once...

I did that on my first batch too. I sanitized my arm and stuck it in there (after trying to fish it out with a spoon then a strainer). In hindsight, I would have put some sanitized tin foil over the hole and then bought a new grommet the next day and reinstalled the airlock.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Well when I did it it was in a glass carboy....lol...Still....no worries. The Double IPA turned out fantastic! I think next time I brew the same beer...i will push the bung into it just so I can get the same results!

Back