Newbie making mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there folks!

My brother, a friend and me made our first two meads today! We sure hope we did it correctly, but only time will tell haha.

First mead:
4L water
1.3 kg honey
5gr tartaric acid
0,5gr sulfite
3gr yeast nutrients
5 gr yeast
500gr sliced strawberries

Second mead:
2.5L water
500gr honey
2,5gr tartaric acid
0,5gr sulfite
2gr yeast nutrients
2,5gr yeast

Anything out of the ordinary with our recipes? We are planning on letting it sit for 4 weeks. Then transfer it to another clean vessel and let it age for 3 months.

Any tips and feedback are welcome! :)

Attachments

• IMG_4071.jpeg
    IMG_4071.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Acid is usually done after fermentation and aging so you can adjust it to taste as well as avoiding a ferment that is too low on pH. A low pH can stall a fermentation.
An exception would be a well known recipe where you know exactly how much acid you will need at the end and you know your pH range.

Strawberries are one of those fruits that loses the flavor during fermentation and is best added after it has been transferred for aging. I'd guess about .7 kg of strawberries in secondary would be nice.

Sulfites inhibit biological growth. Sometimes they're used to knock out the naturally existing wild yeasts on the outside of fruit before innoculation with a commercial yeast strain. They can also be used to 'stabilize' a mead or cider before backsweetening with a fermentable sugar. Either way, the intent is to stop fermentation. If you don't want the strawberries to ferment, yeah, that might be a good time for sulfites.

Note: I don't use sulfites, nor have I done enough research to fully grasp its use. I just know that when I'm looking for fresh commercial cider to be sure the only preservatives are ascorbic or citric acid. Sulfites run counter to my purposes.

Sulfites inhibit biological growth. Sometimes they're used to knock out the naturally existing wild yeasts on the outside of fruit before innoculation with a commercial yeast strain. They can also be used to 'stabilize' a mead or cider before backsweetening with a fermentable sugar. Either way, the intent is to stop fermentation. If you don't want the strawberries to ferment, yeah, that might be a good time for sulfites.

Note: I don't use sulfites, nor have I done enough research to fully grasp its use. I just know that when I'm looking for fresh commercial cider to be sure the only preservatives are ascorbic or citric acid. Sulfites run counter to my purposes.
Thanks for this! So I could do without the sulfites all together? Learning here so if that is the case, I might just ditch them completely in future brews!

Sulfites at the start of ferment inhibit wild yeast. Honey doesn't usually have much of that, but apples do, so I use sulfite in my cider. It won't hurt anything.
Ah that is good to hear! Is it a problem if a layer of honey keep sticking to the bottom, even after shaking vigorously? Will it hurt the fermentation process?

Sulfites at the start of ferment inhibit wild yeast. Honey doesn't usually have much of that, but apples do, so I use sulfite in my cider. It won't hurt anything.

Curious. How would sulfites succeed at stabilizing at the end of fermentation when at the beginning of fermentation sulfites leave the sacc alone and only inhibit the wild organisms?

Did you use commercial store bought strawberries or home picked strawberries?
Was the sulphite a campden tablet?
Don’t bother to stir your honey, it will dissolve and get eaten over time. Shake the solution at the beginning to oxygenate the must but NOT later on after fermentation has slowed.
DONT SHAKE IT once fermentation has started…. Escaping carbon dioxide will create a volcano
Usually people fermenting w fruit will start off in a wide mouth container w the fruit in a net bag (hard to get fruit out of a narrow neck bottle)
and stir or swirl once or twice a day for the first week to release carbon dioxide. But not shaking after the active bubbling fermentation has calmed down (don’t want to oxidize your must). Oxygen good in the beginning and bad later on.
Store bought frozen fruit has already been sanitized (irradiated) so don’t need to use campden tablet to “sterilize” it, but home picked fresh fruit does need to be sterilized (if you live in North America, maybe not so much if you live in Europe where the native wild yeasts tent to be correct for tasty alcohol production)
And you can add fruit at the beginning, after racking (Once fermentation slows down), or both. Each time period creates different flavour profiles.
Active fermentation at the beginning tends to bubble off your fruit flavours, especially delicate strawberry flavours.
What exact procedure did you use?

Did you use commercial store bought strawberries or home picked strawberries?
Was the sulphite a campden tablet?
Don’t bother to stir your honey, it will dissolve and get eaten over time. Shake the solution at the beginning to oxygenate the must but NOT later on after fermentation has slowed.
DONT SHAKE IT once fermentation has started…. Escaping carbon dioxide will create a volcano
Usually people fermenting w fruit will start off in a wide mouth container w the fruit in a net bag (hard to get fruit out of a narrow neck bottle)
and stir or swirl once or twice a day for the first week to release carbon dioxide. But not shaking after the active bubbling fermentation has calmed down (don’t want to oxidize your must). Oxygen good in the beginning and bad later on.
Store bought frozen fruit has already been sanitized (irradiated) so don’t need to use campden tablet to “sterilize” it, but home picked fresh fruit does need to be sterilized (if you live in North America, maybe not so much if you live in Europe where the native wild yeasts tent to be correct for tasty alcohol production)
And you can add fruit at the beginning, after racking (Once fermentation slows down), or both. Each time period creates different flavour profiles.
Active fermentation at the beginning tends to bubble off your fruit flavours, especially delicate strawberry flavours.
What exact procedure did you use?
Strawberries are from a local farmshop. Same as the honey.

Will not shake it anymore then. Though someone told me I should to keep the strawberries moist and keep them from rotting?

Exact procedure was. Chuck everything in the glass container and pray for the best. It is our very first time haha.

Curious. How would sulfites succeed at stabilizing at the end of fermentation when at the beginning of fermentation sulfites leave the sacc alone and only inhibit the wild organisms?
It all comes down to the amounts that you use. With fruits, prior to fermentation, you are washing your fruit and getting rid of most of the wild yeast. The smaller amounts of sulfite that you use on the fruit 24+ hours before starting fermentation are usually enough to keep the minimal amounts of wild yeast suppressed.

After that, you are pitching a very large amount of health yeast that the small amount of sulfites cannot suppress. Often times, the yeast we use have a high killer factor that outcompete any wild yeast.

For myself, I give any fruits a very thorough rinsing and will often use a salad spinner for the final rinsing. I will then soak the fruit for about 15 minutes in a 1-part vinegar to 3-part water mix and let it soak for about 15 minutes. After that the fruit is left to dry before I chop, bag and freeze the fruit. That fruit is then used in my meads and I don't worry about sulfites when I add my fruit. The water-vinegar soak is my alternative to sulfites up front.

I still use sulfites in secondary/aging and add some more prior to bottling for shelf stability. The sulfites help with preventing oxidation and preventing microbial growth if it is a low alcohol brew. Higher alcohol isn't normally hospitable to bacterial growth.

If I remember correctly, sulfites just prevent the yeast from multiplying. So if you pitch a high enough amount, it's theoretically not a real issue. That's also why you really want to drop out as much yeast as possible before chemical stabilisation.
However, this is an oversimplification of what's actually happening and I don't use sulfites. If I want to stabilise, I pasteurize.

tl;dr you probably don't need sulfites for your first batches which will likely get consumed soon. you probably want to get a pH meter soon if you're going to stick with the hobby.

Here's the deal with sulfites, partially already detailed by earlier posts but with some additional bits:

They a) inhibit (+) wild yeast and bacteria b) act as antioxidants. You use them in the capacity of "a" either before fermentation, or when adding sorbates shortly before packaging, or to generally inhibit post-fermentation microbial activity. If you add them before fermentation, which is to give your yeast of choice a head-start, you typically allow a day or so before pitching yeast so that the sulfites have time to bind or offgas and not inhibit your yeast. Sacch. C. is not particularly vulnerable to sulfites, but your fermentation may have a long lagtime if you pitch into a sulfite soup.

+) they might kill some too, but you can *NOT* rely on sulfites to get a microbially clean slate

If you want to play it really safe, you can add pre-fermentation sulfites to your mead, but I prefer a healthy pitch of ready-to-rock yeast, because you need a healthy pitch anyway. That way, I don't have to get the pH spot-on at this stage (cf. bit about acids towards the end of the post).

Also, important: sulfites [alone] do *NOT* reliably prevent alcoholic fermentation (backsweetening implications).

For "b", if you don't plan to consume your mead within a year or two, you probably want to add some sulfites some months after all fermentation is done and the product racked, so as to offer additional protection from oxygen. You can add tannins to partially the safe effect ... and frankly a mead without some amount of tannin is likely going to taste thin, so you might as well anyway.

Then there's the deal of how your sulfite addition depends on the pH and how you need to maintain the sulfite level -- it gets "consumed" e.g. during racking -- but that's more important for things like some wines where you really want it to not undergo some forms of bacterial fermentation after alcoholic fermentation is done.

However, if you add post-fermentation sulfites, you *should* measure the pH, or add them little-by-little, because the pH does have a huge impact on what concentration you start to smell sulfur at (just-struck match smell), and you don't want your mead to smell like sulfur. To put a figure on "huge", the amount of metabisulfite you need to add for the same effect as a function of pH varies by more than a factor of five in the typical wine pH range (e.g. 1g vs. >5g). If you add too much, you can oxidize the sulfites out, but it's easier to just avoid the problem.

Also, acid is a tricky topic. If you're not pitching your yeast immediately (which generally drops the pH), you might want to add some acid to improve the keeping properties of your must. However, you also generally need to add bases during mead fermentation to prevent the pH from crashing too low, so it's a bit of a juggling act. The problem with mead recipes is that they don't usually (ever?) specify the water, and without specifying the water it's anyone's guess what happens to the pH during fermentation and how much acid or base you need to add to keep the pH where it needs to be. So, if you're going to stick with mead-making and want to take the guesswork from stalled/sluggish/unhealthy fermentations out, get a pH meter. In my *opinion*, pH is the most important measurement in post-neophyte meadmaking. I'm sure there are other opinions out there, but my rationale is the following: you can calculate or taste anything else to a reasonable-enough degree for non-commercial purposes, but you can't calculate or taste pH, and the pH plays a huge role in fermentation health and the keeping properties of your mead.

Good luck. If all of the above didn't make sense now, maybe it'll make more sense in a few months when you have more experience/knowledge and prepare for your next batches.

It's two different roles for the sulfite. In the beginning we use it to inhibit wild yeast and kill bacteria. Commercial yeasts have been cultivated to have an immunity to it (or at least tolerance). At the end it serves as an antioxidant and prevents potassium sorbate from being metabolized into the wine fault geraniol.

Hey there folks!

My brother, a friend and me made our first two meads today! We sure hope we did it correctly, but only time will tell haha.

First mead:
4L water
1.3 kg honey
5gr tartaric acid
0,5gr sulfite
3gr yeast nutrients
5 gr yeast
500gr sliced strawberries

Second mead:
2.5L water
500gr honey
2,5gr tartaric acid
0,5gr sulfite
2gr yeast nutrients
2,5gr yeast

Anything out of the ordinary with our recipes? We are planning on letting it sit for 4 weeks. Then transfer it to another clean vessel and let it age for 3 months.

Any tips and feedback are welcome! :)
I never use sulfites or acid in my mead batches, they aren't needed, and you will have a batch just as good without them.

With the other parts of your ingredients, I don't know what ratio you used for honey to water in the mash. Too much honey in the water when pitching your yeast can kill it. Please provide more info on this part.

Update #2!

A whole week has passed. Things are looking good. Next week Saturday I’ll probably transfer the meads to new and clean vessels!

Attachments

• fcf6abab-2dde-45dc-b4fb-385c50196691.jpeg
    fcf6abab-2dde-45dc-b4fb-385c50196691.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 0
OP listed their honey and water amounts in the first post.
Yes they did, but that could be total amounts for the honey and water, i.e. water added to the mash, to fill up the bottle.

I guess I should have asked what the gravity of the mash was.

Not even.

Must:Mead/Wine as Wort:Beer.

The mash is the enzymatic process (or the grain/water mix in which it takes place) where grain starch is converted to sugars and dextrins. There is no comparative process in mead production.

Transfered two meads to new and clean vessels. One is already beginning to become clear, the strawberry one is still hazy.

Also made three new meads! One natural, one blackberries and one cherries! Will transfer these new ones in a week or 2-3 to new clean vessels :)

Attachments

• 1fb97eea-e3ed-4cce-8610-d6b907459246.jpeg
    1fb97eea-e3ed-4cce-8610-d6b907459246.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 0
Hey all,

Back from transferring the mead to another vessel and I have a question. I tasted a couple of drops of one of the meads and I have to say it tastes absolute **** haha. Vinegary sour with hints of alcohol. I know I should let it age properly but expected more of it at this stage.

Is this normal? Did I do something wrong?

Latest posts

Back