newbi question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiffer75

Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch sunday evening, placed i ferment bucket and everything started off well started seeing bubbles in airlock the next morning. But now less than 48 hrs later the airlock has stopped bubbling, isn't that a little too soon? Took a hydrometer reading, started at 1.044 now at 1.012. Should i move the beer to my carboy already?

It's pretty much done with initial fermentation, but your beer will greatly benefit from another week or three in the bucket. There's no need to transfer to a carboy (regardless of what the directions for the kit say). After a couple more weeks, verify that you have stable gravity readings taken 3 days apart and then go ahead and bottle it.

reiffer75 said:
Just brewed my first batch sunday evening, placed i ferment bucket and everything started off well started seeing bubbles in airlock the next morning. But now less than 48 hrs later the airlock has stopped bubbling, isn't that a little too soon? Took a hydrometer reading, started at 1.044 now at 1.012. Should i move the beer to my carboy already?

If its at 1.012 in another day or two it's technically done with the second stage of fermentation, now begins the third stage, patience in allowing the yeast some time to clean up its own waste, give it another week so everything settles out and then bottle it up, unless you need the primary to brew another batch there is really no need to rack to a Carboy.

I personally keep the beer in the primary for at least two weeks, usually three. I find it's good to let the yeast do their thing even after terminal gravity is reached. The yeast supposedly clean up off flavors, like diacetyl, that can be created during the fermentation process.

Ok...gonna leave it be for a few weeks then, thanks for the advice everyone

Back