newb question boiling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedasnake

Reaction score
So i have a pot that is around 5 gallons to start off with and am going to start my first brew with a brewers best kit, it calls for just a partial boil with only 2.5 gallons but my question is that i know i cant do a full boil but could i do maybe 3.5 or 4 gallons of water and then top off once in the fermenter. Will doing that much water with the kit mess anything up or help make better beer?
thanks

You will get better hop utilization so your beer will be a little more bitter. I used to do what you plan on and never had any issues. What kind of beer is it?

I do these kits in a 5 gallon pot and I SERIOUSLY don't recommend boiling more than 3 gallons. Even 3.5 will leave you with hardly any head space at all.

I would say boil as much as you can, but don't push it in hopes of making better beer just to have it boil over. I got a turkey fryer after my first brew because of this.

Yeah I have a 5 gallon pot I use sometimes and I will boil just under 3 1/2 gallons. I wouldn't boil anymore water then that. You have to remember when you add the extract it will bring the volume up in the pot.

I don't have a 5gal pot since I'm only doing stovetop boils, but I use a 4gal stock pot and routinely do 3.25g boils in it. You need to be watchful for boilovers, but judging by many of the posts I've read on here, that's a problem you will have even with significant headspace.

My opinion, you're fine to do it but keep your eyes peeled after those extract additions!

Back