New York City Weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
The hubby and I are headed up to NYC this Thursday to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor. We decided to make a weekend out of it and are trying to come up with a list of other things to do. Usually we would catch a Yankees game, but considering opening day is still a few weeks away that won't work!

So far we are thinking of going to chinatown for some good chinese food and visiting Brooklyn Brewery.

Anyone have any ideas of things to do while in NYC?

Well, there are a few of brew pubs you can hit. Heartland Brewery has a bunch of pubs scattered around town. There also is Chelsea brewing company on the west side. Both places have mediocre beers. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Don't know of any BYOB places, but definitely consider hitting Blind Tiger on Bleeker, Rattle N Hum on 33rd, Gingerman on 36th, Bierkraft in Brooklyn, and for a good selection for takaway, new-beer on Chrystie.

Edit: This Friday is my traditional 2-beer lunch at Blind Tiger. You should come if you find yourself on the lower west side...

BYOB isn't really popular here. I actually didn't even know it existed until meeting my wife who is from NJ where every other place is BYOB.

Brooklyn Brewery just expanded and offers great tours, plus beers that are only available at the brewery. Ginger Man is DEFINITELY worth hitting while you are here. I finally got to Burp Castle a few weeks ago and was impressed with that place also. If you have never been to McSoreley's, its worth going to just for the nostalgia and history.

Enjoy your trip!

The only places that really do BYOB places round' here (I live in Queens) are places that have yet to get their liquor license or do not want to pay for one. So they are places you might not want to go. Unless you are people like my roommates who bring in JUGS of Carlo Rossi to these establishments.

You should check out Six Point brewery, they are doing some fun stuff.

I would totally suggest checking out Casellula on 52th between 9th and 10th. Great wine and cheese bar - killer meats and cheeses if you are into that. When the SWMBO and I lived in NYC ... going there was our special treat to each other. I tried pushing the owner to server pairings with beers like Goose Island; but to no avail yet.

Also there is the Bronx Ale House on 238th, right off the 1 train. I "think" I spent a lot of time there ... the standard 6-8% brews make you forget quickly. They change their on taps often and the bar service is spot on for tastings!

Cheers and enjoy your trip!

Latest posts

Back