New Water Filter-Vinyl Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my latest batch of stout, a recipe I have been using for three years, tastes like band-aid and it does not seem to be going away through lagering. What changed?

I have a new cooling system for my stainless fermenter and the brew was kept at 67F for a week-long ferment. I let it rise to room temp another week and then kegged and cold-crashed while carbonating. This was the first beer I was able to give this temperature controlled environment to, but as this process is what most brewers are shooting for, I don't see how this change could be at fault.

Then there is this: I bought a new water filter for my canister system, but the hardware store didn't have the simple activated charcoal one. So I bought the $40 Culligan high-end version, which says it lowers Chlorine/Chloramine, but really doesn't give good information on their website at all.

I plan to brew tomorrow, and I will use a K-Meta tab in the water, but could it be this filter just sucks compared to the $15 Home Depot activated charcoal version?

Any helps most appreciated!

Reevesie

Band-aid off flavor is generally from chlorine in the water. My guess is that new filter didn't do the job of the activated charcoal and led to the odd flavor.

It could also be infection but from what you said I'm sticking with gut reaction and thinking it's the water that went through the filter.

I think @Sammy86 is correct. Stupid question but are you sure the filter was the correct size for your canister?

Most culligan filters I’ve come across are mainly sediment filters unless its the whole house or RO design. I’m not familiar with any filters that don’t use charcoal to filter chlorine.

To add to above, check the filter length. I have had filters that are supposed to fit but are slightly short. I doubled up seal washers to fix. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the suggestions! I checked the fit, it wasn’t leaking. I am going to get a new activated charcoal one.

I will keep an eye out for the possibility of infection, but the beer before and the beer I hope to do tomorrow will both be pale ales. Last beer was great. Not a lot of margin for error, so I’ll know with the next beer for certain.

thank you!

If you are on a municipal water system there will almost assuredly be chlorine or chloramine in use. I'd consider using campden tabs...

Cheers!

Back