New tweak to old stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy Boner

Reaction score
:mug: I just keep experimenting with the stout recipe I've been using since my first homebrew I ever made. I make 8 gal batches since I got a couple new fermenters. This time I'm trying some Black Patent malt. Here is my recipe:

11# Light LME
1.5# Flaked Oats
1.25# Roasted Barley
1# Black Patent
2oz. Northern Brewers Hops@ 60 Min.
2 pkgs Nottinghams Dry yeast
:mug:

well, thats a lot of black patent, but I think that you are onto something. careful with that "curtain of night", and let me know how it turns out.

:mug:Yes but that is about half the black patent in the recipe I got off the internet for an Obsidian stout clone which was supposed to have been taken from the Jamil show. I have not seen a recipe with so much so I scaled it back a lot. We'll see.:mug:

well thats a crap-load of black patent and a crap-load of roasted barely... But then again for that much LME 11# (Which is almost equivalent to 9# of DME) its almost required...Why don't you go ahead and throw in some molasses on that imperial stout.

well thats a crap-load of black patent and a crap-load of roasted barely... But then again for that much LME 11# (Which is almost equivalent to 9# of DME) its almost required...Why don't you go ahead and throw in some molasses on that imperial stout.

How much do you recomend, remember it's an 8 gal batch.:mug:

well it doesn't sound like a terrible amount..but I guess I missed the 8gal batch statement. This might actually even things out. I typically only think in 5 gallons at a time... Its not as super-imperial as I first suspected.

:mug:Tried my first bottle of this, not bad, I can see why stouts are more forgiving than other styles, not that huge of a difference using so much black grains than before. Oh well, thats why we experiment tweaking recipes. I'm going to put some espresso in the next one. I tried an Espresso stout from Oakshire Brewing yesterday, really good.:mug:

Back