new to sours, is there a a commercial brand i can try??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjaytuner

Reaction score
dont think i'v ever tryed a sour type brew,(aside from a local microbrewery that had a guiness clone that had way too much lactic acid or whatever in it) is there commericaly available i can look out for?? or even highly reccomended one i can order online even.

My introduction to sour beers was Rodenbach Grand Cru, its awesome. The orginal Rodenbach is really good too. You could likely find those at any bottle shop if you have one near by. Sam Adams makes one that I haven't had in a while, but I remember enjoying called Stony Brooke Red. I think it's their take on a flanders red, and I've seen it at Walmart. Of course the stores where you're at are probably different than the ones where I live, but those are some great introductions in my opinion.

The suggestion for Rodenbach Grand Cru is a good one. Here are a few others off the top of my head.

Lost Abbey. Red Poppy
Duchess du Bourgogne.
Russian River. Consecration and Supplication
Jolly Pumkin La Roja
Monk's Cafe Flemish Red

Allagash makes a few but I have not tried them, but they should be easy to find near you.

I really like the duchess. New Belgium makes some pretty good ones too with their Lips of Faith series, la folic, and la terroir are good. I also had a variety pack from a the same brewery as the success. It was a series called "barbie", and the Barbe ruby and black were great. I think the ruby was a brisk style beer, and it was fantastic.

One type of sour, a Gose, is becoming more and more popular as they become discovered. I'd suggest an Anderson Valley Gose or a Sierra Nevada Otra Vez to try as a sample.

Lots coming onto the market these days.

Guinness with lactic acid is really not comparable to most sour beers. Most sour beers are more complex with respect to the wild bugs.

I love sour beers, but some can be too sour for some people.

My recommendation would be to try almost any Jolly Pumpkin Beer (should be available all over the USA). La Roja is a good example of a Flanders style sour.

If you get a decent sour, don't toss out the dregs. Plan a beer, maybe just a gallon off your last batch, or whole batch, and toss the dregs into it and see what you get.

Dogfish head Seaquench. And I totally agree with @TANSTAAFB Duchess is my all time favorite sour. It was my first sour a few years ago.

While I haven't had many sours, I think Monk's Cafe stands out as the best I've yet tried. Rodenbach Grand Cru is pretty tasty too, but has more of a vinegar taste than Monk's (Flanders Red vs Out Bruin). Its these two that inspired me to try my hand at my very own sour. Still 6+ months away from seeing how it's gonna turn out.

Goses are decent too, but of the ones that are available around here, well, they all taste the same no matter what the container claims. I'd be hard pressed to pick out two different goses in a triangle test. It's surely a fault with my own tastebuds...

Report back when you've had the chance to try one!

Last edited:
found a store nor too far away that has Duchess du Bourgogne will try & pick it up this week...

New Belgium La Folie is always a standout for me. It's the first sour I had and still my favorite. Go for the barrel aged sours, not the kettle soured. Kettle soured always seems more tart to me than really sour and not worth the time.

@murphyslaw - D.C. Has some good places for American sours. Churchkey (near Logan Circle) usually has some good ones on tap and in bottles, and Right Proper Brewing has their own as well as guest taps (Pub in Shaw and tasting room in Brookland). I've heard Dacha has them as well, though never been.

In Baltimore, you have Stillwater Artisinal Ales, as well as two of my favorite pubs, Monks in Fells Point and Of Love and Regret on Brewery Hill (just past the Natty Bo brewery).

Head a bit northwest to Ellicott City, and there's a phenomenal Farm brewery called Manor Hill that has a sour blonde and 1 or two others. Same ownership as Victoria Gastropub in Columbia which ahas a few offerings in addition.

@murphyslaw - D.C. Has some good places for American sours. Churchkey (near Logan Circle) usually has some good ones on tap and in bottles, and Right Proper Brewing has their own as well as guest taps (Pub in Shaw and tasting room in Brookland). I've heard Dacha has them as well, though never been.

In Baltimore, you have Stillwater Artisinal Ales, as well as two of my favorite pubs, Monks in Fells Point and Of Love and Regret on Brewery Hill (just past the Natty Bo brewery).

Head a bit northwest to Ellicott City, and there's a phenomenal Farm brewery called Manor Hill that has a sour blonde and 1 or two others. Same ownership as Victoria Gastropub in Columbia which ahas a few offerings in addition.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't get out to bars much these days. Know of any bottle shops in the area that stock these brews?

My first sour was at crooked stave and it blew my mind.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't get out to bars much these days. Know of any bottle shops in the area that stock these brews?

My first sour was at crooked stave and it blew my mind.

Chad makes some incredible brews... It's unfortunate that hipster D-bags are drawn to the CS tasting room like hookers to the Super Bowl 😈

Latest posts

Back