new to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leut

Reaction score
New to forums . Started to keg beers within last 2 weeks , i tried carbonation over time method, 2 beers at 13 psi for 10 days ( my work schedule only allows me to be home 7 days then 7 days at work). i purged them both and set at 2 psi ,one is totally foam the other is less foam head is like at 1.5 inches. I have tried all methods of basically degassing it i guess and can't get foam out of beer. Still not understanding serving pressure and carb pressure. I have my CO2 bottle in mini fridge and i have to keep adjusting it .Would it be better to have my gas outside mini fridge? And can't seem to find fix for the all foamy beer i have

Length and ID of the beer lines?

Serving pressure and carb pressure are identical if you use the two week 'set and forget' method. Use this chart to find the pressure you need to set to at the temperature the beer is at.

For beer hose length, rule of thumb is 1' of 3/16" ID tubing (Bevlex) for each pound of pressure the keg/beer is at. You can fudge it a little bit, but at 13psi, you should have ~12 feet of beer line going from the keg to tap/faucet.

Are you using picnic taps or actual faucets (tower, through the fridge door, etc.)?? I quickly learned to hate the picnic taps and installed Perlick faucets through the door of my brew fridge. IMO, much better since you don't need to open the fridge door in order to pull a pint.

Also, IS the beer overcarbonated or not? If not, then it's not a point where you need to reduce carbonation, but increase beer hose length. IF it's overcarbonated too, pull the gas QD from the keg(s) and vent it 2-4 times a day for about 2-3 days before connecting the gas line to it again.

BTW, I have my CO2 tank outside the brew fridge so that I can fit more kegs inside. But I have four 3 gallon kegs in my brew fridge and a 20# CO2 tank connected to a dual body regulator. With a pair of manifolds inside the fridge, I can feed two different pressures into the fridge and have different brews carbonated to different levels and served properly.

Yes i do have the picnic taps..well i did say new to kegging :p, i got the basic 2 keg , CO2 tank setup from Midwest Supplies.I'm not disappointed in any way, just trying learning to move up from bottles to kegs. Oh The hoses are like 3 foot Belvlex by KURIYAMA PVC tubing..dunno if that helps

Hopefully the hoses are at least 3/16" ID and not 1/4" ID...

I'd say replace the hoses with at least 10' lengths first and see how that helps. Also depending on the brew temp, you can probably reduce the pressure it's at. I have an English IPA at 12psi and 10' line (3/16" ID Bevlex) and it has a bigger head than if I had it at 10psi. But, I can deal with the bigger head on it since it is so damned good that way. I have my darker ales at 8psi so they're carbonated less. With 10' lines they pour a little slower, but I really enjoy them with less carbonation.

BTW, if you don't get the carbonic 'bite' from excess CO2 (makes carbonic acid) then the brew isn't over carbonated too much, it's just your lines are at least 7-10' too short.. It always amazes me how some vendors go with such short lines and let people think that it will work well. :rolleyes:

I will have to try everything you have said. Might be awhile cause work schedule but i will do what you suggested Thank you so much.

Back