New to kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tizzomes

Reaction score
I've been bottling now for about a year and thought to make the switch.I know with bottling 3 weeks at least is a good time to wait to try your brew.If opened to early you get the "yeasty" green beer flavors.
Would that all be eliminated because your already introducing CO2 to the beer?No priming sugars means no yeast in suspension. As I mentioned I'm new to kegging so just taking some guesses here.

My experience has been that in a week or so the beer is adequately carbed up, however my preference has been to wait 2-3 weeks... to me the beer just tastes better. But that doesn't mean I don't sneak a pint or two before then! :D

It kind of depends on how long you're fermenting and conditioning prior to kegging.

Yes, if you're force carbing with CO2, rather than priming your keg and naturally carbing, you won't need to wait for that smal fermentation step to finish, so you're less likely to introduce "new" yeastiness like you would when bottling.

However, if you're kegging still green beer, you'll still benefit from waiting a couple weeks to let it age out a bit. Kegging or bottling, more time usually results in better beer.

stratslinger said:
It kind of depends on how long you're fermenting and conditioning prior to kegging.

Yes, if you're force carbing with CO2, rather than priming your keg and naturally carbing, you won't need to wait for that smal fermentation step to finish, so you're less likely to introduce "new" yeastiness like you would when bottling.

However, if you're kegging still green beer, you'll still benefit from waiting a couple weeks to let it age out a bit. Kegging or bottling, more time usually results in better beer.

I always done a 3 week fermentation, 2 week primary 1 week secondary if dry hopping.But for the most part its s 3 week cycle.

Depending on the style, if you're just fermenting for 3 weeks then force-carbing (don't know if you're forcing it or going set-and-forget), some beers are still going to taste green at 3 weeks + a couple days. If you set and forget, it'll take probably 10-14 days to reach full carbonation, at which point most beers should be beyond the green stage.

Back