New to kegging, and not getting results!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vgonman

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been homebrewing a few years, and bought some corny kegs and reconditioned them, mainly to use a Blichman beer gun and bottle (can't drink a whole keg or refrigerate one) and have more control over my carbonation. Secondary reason was to make soda, and be able to force carbonate and bottle. Here is my problem. I force CO2 into the corny at 14lbs, and let it sit for a week or two. I periodically test the pressure, and it is still 14.

My beer or soda is NOT carbonated! i have the standard dip tubes in my cornys. Do i need one with a diffusion stone? Also, if i put a tap on the keg at this time, it comes out super foamy (whether soda or beer) AND once the foam settles it is flat.

I am ready to give up, BUT i know this can be done for many of you are getting results. :confused:

Can you show us pictures or something? It seems to me that if you're getting foam, it's carbinated

It just seems to me that you don't have good balance in your system. You've got too large of a pressure drop on the beer out line and you're loosing all your carbonation to foam. You have to use 5-7 feet of 3/16" ID line if you want to keep your kegs up at 10-13 PSI.

The gas in line has no effect whatsoever. I'm talking about the beer-out line. You need backpressure so you go with thinner ID (3/16") and longer beerline. It's called balancing the system.

Might be an obvious question, but what temperature is you keg while carbing and sitting at 14 PSI? it needs to be cold. and for the proper volumes equilibration you would need much higher pressure at room temp. plus if you poured at warm temp. it would foam.

My keg was in the garage, so probably was sitting at or about 60-70 degrees. Then I brought into the house to use the Beer Gun.

I want to make a batch of soda, but want to get it right this time!

Vgonman said:
My keg was in the garage, so probably was sitting at or about 60-70 degrees. Then I brought into the house to use the Beer Gun.

I want to make a batch of soda, but want to get it right this time!

There's 1 of your problems CO2 absorbsion needs to take place at a lower temp

If you aren't using a diffusion stone which I'm not shake the crap outta the corny
I do it everyday or so for a week.
I also force carb at 25-30 psi. That maybe a little on the hi side but I figure if I over carb it's easier and faster to get the excess out. Plus I don't mind a little extra foam.

Back