New to Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTimeGuy

Reaction score
So I've started a basic 2 gal. batch of hard cider. I added just under a lb. Of brown sugar to the juice while heating it on a low heat (I read it was good to do this to kill any wild yeasts) I then let it cool and pitched it in my 2 1gal carboys and pitched in a teaspoon of champagne yeast in each. All is going great and it's been fermenting for a week now.
Here is my question now... I live in a cabin heated with a toyo stove. The last 2 days I've noticed a very faint fuel smell (I live in Alaska and it's cold so it's working harder) Will this spoil my cider? Should I move it to another location?? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi and welcome to HBT. I'm not sure how to answer your question, but I don't imagine it will harm your cider. In any case, there is a cider subforum here at HBT that you might enjoy looking through and you will find more info on cider making.

Welcome to HBT!

I assume you are using an airlock in your carboys so I wouldn't imagine you will have any issues. I've found a lot of great information in the cider forums. makinghardcider.com is also a good resource for basic processes.

My wife and I just bottled our first two gallons of cider last weekend. We mixed in some tart cherry juice and can't wait to see how they come out after they are carbed. They tasted pretty good flat.

Latest posts

Back