New to Forum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeny

Reaction score
Hi all
I am new here. I live in Miami Florida and have any over abundance of mangos. I have made jelly, jam, chutney, breads, now I want to make some wine. I am also a beekeeper and have about 4.5 lbs of honey that I want to make mead with it. I think I really would like to make a cyser. I am in the process of drinking 2 1gal glass containers of apple juice. Was thinking I could use some to make the cyser. Although I found a basic recipe on stormthecastle.com where he uses oranges and raisins. So not sure yet.

It has been 15 years since I have made Mango Wine. There use to be a place here called "Wine and Brew by You" it went out of business in 1999. Yesterday I went up in the attic to find my old wine making equipment. I did find the carboy, hydrometer, and a primary fermenting plastic container, the siphon, and a corker. Some of it is salvageable some not. I found the receipt and the date said 1997. So it has been too long for me to remember how I did everything. I do know that I bottled about 21 bottles of delicious Mango wine many years ago. I remember I back sweetened some.... If I could just remember the process....

I found this recipe http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques57.asp

My question is the recipes are fairly similar does it matter whether I put the mangos in without a strainer bag?? Do I need to puree/juice? When I made it before I just put the fruit in the primary fermenter. The sugar amounts are different why? because of the yeast?? Also will the champagne yeast give a dryer wine and the Lalvin D 47 sweeter. Also I believe this is for a 1 gallon amount. Obviously if I want to use my 5 gallon carboy I would multiple the friut and sugars by 5 but what about the acid blend, energizer, nutrient?? Do they stay the same??

I did buy several books "The Joy of Home Winemaking" "First Steps in Winemaking: and "The Complete Meadmaker" some of them are like reading a chemistry lesson. I do want to understand the science behind what I am doing but I also want to make some wine soon....

Would love some help!

Back