New to Cider Making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougM1965

Reaction score
I have a BrewDemon Hard Cider Kit Pro on the way to me. I ordered it because of the conical fermenter.

My basic question - with the conical fermenter I don't think I need to rack or transfer to a second carboy. When reviewing recipes, do I simply skip those steps?

Just had a look at how the conical fermenter looks... As far as I can tell the sediment (lees) will still form at the bottom, just under the tap.

It's not mandatory to rack, but the advantage is that taking your cider away from the lees helps get rid of the yeasty flavour. Some people don't mind that taste but some people don't like it.

If you do decide to pull the cider off the lees, with the conical you purchased, you can wait for the lees to settle into the bottom, and then rack off via the tap to another appropriately sized container. Should make it easier than using a siphon type racking cane.

Back