New to cider and I have a question about pectic enzymes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G-Hog

Reaction score
Like I said I'm new to making hard cider. I have a 3 gallon batch that is finished fermenting and I was going to add the pectic enzyme until I read the label on the pack. It says to add before fermentation. Is it too late to add it now? If so, can I add it at the same time I add potassium sorbate? Thanks for any help

I have been told by the masters here that you should add it about 12 hours before pitching your yeast. I don't think it is recommended to add it post ferment at all, but let's see . . . . .

I’ve read you can and you can’t. That’s why I’m asking here [emoji1]

I was going to see if anyone else chimed in who knows more than I, which is probably everyone, hehe.

I did a search of threads here and it seems that you can add it whenever. Suggested you mix it first with a bit of your cider. It won't clear very fast, that is why with the yeast is the preferred way, as it takes time to do its thing. I guess if you want to clear your cider faster, there's some other products that may work faster.

I just read a reply from Yooper in a different thread and she said to go ahead and mix it with warm water and add it. She said it won’t hurt anything.

Just to confuse the issue Andrew Lea (Craft Cider Making), in his chapter on Juicing and Fermenting, indicates that pectic enzyme must be added before fermentation since the enzymes do not work efficiently in the presence of alcohol. This suggests that you could add it now but it might not work as well as adding it at the start. You have probably got nothing to lose as my guess is that the worst case is that you end up with pectin haze (cloudy cider).

Wanted to give an update. I put the pectic enzymes in on Thursday and it’s starting to look clearer already. Thanks for all the help.

I’m new to cider, so I’m still learning. I figured it can’t hurt to try it.

Latest posts

Back