New to brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zalbad

Reaction score
Hi my name is Aaron and I am new to brewing. I do have a tight budget and I am looking to buy a pot and propane burner cheap. I found this would it be suitable?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/backyard-pro-all-stainless-steel-30-qt-turkey-fryer-kit-steamer-kit/554BP30SSKIT.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CIWO-M-aytECFcaPswodmE0Odg

Thanks
Aaron

30 quarts is a bit tight, but doable, if you are using a separate mash tun and stay below about 8 ABV. If you are BIAB or making bigger beers, you need a 10 gallon pot.

The size of the pot is dependant on the batch size. You will need enough room to hold wort that will boil for 60 to 90 minutes plus contain the protein break (imagine the foam when you boil pasta). 5 gallon batches= 10 gallon pot. Also, you need to think how you are going to get the finished product out of the pot. This pot would need a ball valve installed.

I started with a 15 gallon kettle to do extract. I've since moved onto all grain. This size of kettle easily grew with my skills, as opposed to having to sell and buy another kettle.

My two cents, save and get a 15g kettle with ball valve and volume marks on the inside.

I do a modified BIAB and use a 10 gallon aluminum tamale pot for the mash and boil and a 5 gallon stainless pot for my sparge water.

I don't see any reason for a ball valve unless you are using pumps. If I am fermenting in a carboy, I use my auto-siphon. For a bucket, I pick it up and dump it.

Instead of volume markers, I clip a stainless steel ruler to the pot. It involves some math, but I am a penny pincher.

Did not know alum was OK to use. That will help price a bit. I plan to do many 5 gallon batches.

Did not know alum was OK to use. That will help price a bit. I plan to do many 5 gallon batches.

Boil water in it for an hour and aluminum will get a dark oxide layer that basically seals it. Just be gentle when you are cleaning it because you don't want to scrub that layer off.

If you're planning on 5g batches you will be fine with that pot for extract brews. Since your budget is tight, I presume you're not going AG, as then you also at a minimum will need a cooler MLT, as this pot will not be big enough for a 5g BIAB- unless you add water into your fermenter at the end, and that I'd not advise. So if set on "many" 5 gal batches, stick with extract, or you will need a cooler MLT. Good luck, this hobby can be done well on the cheap, or you may allow it to get quite expensive, your choice!

Back