new to brewing in WI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsmike340

Reaction score
hey im new to brewing, and im from Chippewa Falls WI!!!! Any brewers neer wanna give me some pointers. HAd to dump my first batch, sadly, it was a kolsch. Found out never to trust the book "fearless brewing" and never to use bleach. Just bottled my second a tripel, and racked my third, and irish red/brown in the secondary.

You'd think you could just get pointers from one of the brothers up there! Hey from Mad town.

I'm brand new and just getting ready for my first brew this weekend. I suggest How to Brew by John Palmer. It was recommended to me by a couple friends. I found it very straightforward. Since my results remain to be seen, take it with a grain of salt.

Stay thirsty my friend

found out about how to brew too late for the kolsch... got a friend from heineken givin me pointers but not the recipe... would love to get pointers from the brewmeister at leinies

bleach can leave an off flavor and ruin a beer, which is what happened to me. everyone ive talked to since has told me never use bleach

Welcome from another Sconnie! I use Star San as my sanitizer. However, I have yet to bottle my first brew. Still in primary. Good luck and read as much as you can on homebrewtalk and you'll be much the wiser.

i use food grade sanitizer.... im a chef so i know which ones i can use.... 5 dollars a gallon at sams club... i was using bleach for a cleaner

I used to be in the restaurant biz myself. I used a quat sanitizer for surface areas, but for the the tools I used 1 step. There is definitely some argument as to whether the 1 step is actually a sanitizer or not, but I am trusting due to all the reviews and the fact it came with my kit. I posted another thread earlier today asking about quat sanitizer and got answer saying it's ok. Other research shows that quat will work fine, but affect the head of your beer. I guess if you go the restaurant grade sanitizer route, get something iodine based. I just plan on ordering StarSan when I run out of 1Step. For me, there isn't much advantage since I don't get sweet prices from a place like EcoLab. Now I have heard that Sam's sells some sanitizer cheap, which is what I think you're talking about, but again research shows it's the type that affects the head of the beer.

I'm a complete n00b so all of this information is coming from reading, not actual testing.

By chance, being the service industry up there, did you know any of the Horstmann's? I think the name of their restaurant was called the Filling Station? I worked for them in their sports bar down here in Mad town.

Blitz Sanitizer thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/glitz-restaurant-sanitizer-309039/

Wow...apparently Wisconsin just gave birth to a whole bunch of us green brewers all at once :)

Welcome man!

Welcome, we're glad to have you!

absolutely know some horstmans,my friend jordan live down in mad town and last time i talked to him was a restaurant manager so we might be talkin bout the same guy

absolutely know some horstmans,my friend jordan live down in mad town and last time i talked to him was a restaurant manager so we might be talkin bout the same guy

LOL, Jordan is my buddy. I also know the rest of the clan. In fact, I just saw Jordan at Noodles and Co where he's a GM. Me and that kid have tore it up a time or two!

I'm in Madison, and just started brewing, too! :D I bottled my first batch on 2/25, and racked my second batch over to secondary. First batch is "Badger Dark Ale" from the Wine and Hop Shop on Monroe St. Nice shop, with plenty of good stuff there! Second batch was a recipe I found on HBT for Caramel Cream Ale by Cheesehead. Can't wait to try them! (...but I have to...lol!) Welcome to the club!

Back