New to brew!,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreBourbon

Reaction score
I've just recently moved to all grain ( than you yes I know) lol and I'm thinking of converting my brew pot to electric. I live in Canada and it's damn cold and I don't want to blow up my basement with propane so I brew outside in -20c temps. I'm not skilled in electrical wiring and shipping a pre made kit is crazy expensive so I'm thinking of putting 2x1500w elements in my brew pot but recently read I'd need to plug it in 2 different circuits. There has to be a simpler solution? Thanks. ..Cold in Canada Dre.

Last edited:
The other choice is to install a 220V outlet and use a 220V heating coil. They are almost 4 times as fast as 110 units. You just cant pull 3000 Watts through a single 110V circuit with normal house wiring. Most house circuits are 15 Amps and that gets you about 1800W max through a single circuit.

not much to add to what WScottCross said. Pretty much you go big and use a dry outlet or have one installed or you need to run an extension cord and use 2 circuits, or stick to 120 and do 2.5 gal batches.

After going electric, there is no way I would ever go to 110V from 220V with a 5500W wavy element. Also, there are hundreds of examples here with wiring up a 220V element, you have to do the leg work and do some looking first.

agree, step mashing and boiling with a 5500w element is amazing. My electric system blows my old propane system out of the water on all levels especially speed.

I'll be the odd ball and tell you 120v is the bee's knees. Don't see myself ever upgrading. Yes, you need two circuits if you're going to run 2 x 1500 watt elements, but that's never been a problem for me.

As far as a simpler solution to going electric, the only thing that's simpler is using one element and making smaller batches of beer.

In the winter, I happily make 2-3 gallon batches with a single 120V "Hot Rod" heat stick from BobbyM on this forum. I brew in a bag and use a lightweight, aluminum turkey fryer kettle (narrow) that I have insulated. One vessel, one outlet, easy as can be. I even use a simple interval timer to maintain mash temp.

If you must brew bigger batches with electric, you'll need to dig into the schematics and scary wiring. That's why I only do this in the cold weather when it's a drag to use my propane setup outdoors.

Back