new to brew trying a IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paramedic007

Reaction score
Two questions: I have a mr beer light, that is ready to bottle, I read earlier on here, that you could possibly boil the total amount of sugar, and mix it in the the batch, and then bottle, but it may stir it up the sediment. So my idea is to drain the brew into my other my mr beer container, and strain it using a coffee filter, the add the sugar, and mix it in with the beer. Anyone see any potential batch ruiners in this idea? I am using dextrose, because when I did my first batch I used table sugar and it suuuucked. Anyway, my other question is, I bought some carboys and stuff to step it up a little bit, and I got a coopers IPA extract can, and I have been reading to mix 50 50 dme and dextrose to the wort, then ferment. If i do this, do i still need to prime the bottles, with sugar, when I bottle.

Yes.

I'd recommend that you pick up either John Palmer's "How to Brew" or Charlie Papizan's, "The complete Joy of Homebrewing," or both. Welcome to the site. :)

To your first question, yes, I see one potential problem. Running the beer through a coffee filter. You don't want to expose the beer to a lot of oxygen at this point. Just siphon it into the other container with the sugar water already in it. It will mix.

I have used table sugar to prime many times and have not had any issues. My first few mr beer recipes did not turn out great, the problem i had was i read and followed the mr beer instructions. Just a thought.

DO NOT USE A FILTER!!!!!! All you will do is add O2 which will cause the beer to stale quickly.

Dissolve the sugar in water, add to new Mr. Beer container. Siphon beer to new Mr. Beer container (don't just let it run out). If you don't have a siphon, get a few feet of hose that will attach to the tap on the Mr. Beer and put the other end under the sugar solution in the second Mr. Beer and then let the beer run from one to the other.

Bottle in the same fashion, by putting the hose at the bottom of the bottle and filling from under the liquid.

Table sugar is fine. Something else screwed up your beer. I use table sugar all the time. I think corn sugar is a rip-off.

1 part extract to 1 part sugar does not make a good beer. Unless you are doing a Belgian where you want it dry and the yeast is the start (using a Belgian yeast), you want to limit simple sugar to about 10% of the ingredients. 50% is way too much!

My first ever brew was a Coopers IPA, just followed the directions and added 500g of dry malt extract, then took advice I got on this board. I boiled 3/4 cup of sugar then just added it in increments as I transfered to my bottling bucket. I've since read that you should let the boiled sugar water coold down before adding.
It turned out OK, drinking one right now actually and can't complain for my first attempt. Much better than my other two attempts at u-brew's.
I also left it in primary for 4 weeks, a bit longer than the directions but better to leave it a bit longer than rush. I did have trouble leaving it the bottles for the recommended 2 weeks but like I said no complaints, just bottles by second batch of coopers 4 days ago, a cerveza, tried one today and seems like it will be OK.
I'm on my forth coopers and am ready to move on to a more advanced kit thats a bit more challenging, just going to do some more reading.
Don't mean to ramble on but thought this would help as it sounds like we are both at the same stage in brewing.

My first ever brew was a Coopers IPA, just followed the directions and added 500g of dry malt extract, then took advice I got on this board. I boiled 3/4 cup of sugar then just added it in increments as I transfered to my bottling bucket. I've since read that you should let the boiled sugar water coold down before adding.
It turned out OK, drinking one right now actually and can't complain for my first attempt. Much better than my other two attempts at u-brew's.
I also left it in primary for 4 weeks, a bit longer than the directions but better to leave it a bit longer than rush. I did have trouble leaving it the bottles for the recommended 2 weeks but like I said no complaints, just bottles by second batch of coopers 4 days ago, a cerveza, tried one today and seems like it will be OK.
I'm on my forth coopers and am ready to move on to a more advanced kit thats a bit more challenging, just going to do some more reading.
Don't mean to ramble on but thought this would help as it sounds like we are both at the same stage in brewing.

If I mix the sugar in with the wort, I do not prime the bottles with the sugar, during secondary fermentation, right?

Sucrose or table sugar is a disaccharide or a long chained sugar and harder for the little yesties to break down and carb the beer with.
Thats why you will see 98% of us using Dextrose for bottle conditioning. It is a monosaccharide or single chained sugar, and easier to break down.

Siphon the beer to your 2nd MR BEER keg over the priming solution. The transfer will mix it enough.
DO NOT USE A FILTER. You will only cause airation and spoil/skunk the hops/beer

Good luck!

If I mix the sugar in with the wort, I do not prime the bottles with the sugar, during secondary fermentation, right?

Not sure what your question is. When you go to bottle, you need to add sugar to allow the yeast to create CO2. If the sugar was added days before to the secondary, it will be gone by the time you bottle.

If you are asking if you add sugar to the wort at bottling time, you do not need to add sugar to the bottles. only do one.

Sucrose or table sugar is a disaccharide or a long chained sugar and harder for the little yesties to break down and carb the beer with.
Thats why you will see 98% of us using Dextrose for bottle conditioning.

The yeast have no problem with sucrose. Yes they have to do a little work to break down the molecules, but you will not notice it in either taste or time to carb.

I think you will find 98% is way high. I'd bet it is closer to 50% of the folks that bottle, and I suspect it is mostly 'newer' brewers who are using the corn sugar, with the more experienced using plain table sugar.

There is just no detectable difference between the two, except for the price.

You can prime with any sugar you like: Table sugar, corn sugar, raw sugar, fruit juice, honey, extract, etc. They all work fine, some add some flavor; Corn and table sugar add no flavor.

If you are more comfortable with using dextrose, carry on using it.

The yeast have no problem with sucrose. Yes they have to do a little work to break down the molecules, but you will not notice it in either taste or time to carb.

I think you will find 98% is way high. I'd bet it is closer to 50% of the folks that bottle, and I suspect it is mostly 'newer' brewers who are using the corn sugar, with the more experienced using plain table sugar.

There is just no detectable difference between the two, except for the price.

You can prime with any sugar you like: Table sugar, corn sugar, raw sugar, fruit juice, honey, extract, etc. They all work fine, some add some flavor; Corn and table sugar add no flavor.

If you are more comfortable with using dextrose, carry on using it.

If the yeast have no problem with sucrose then why do they have to work harder to break the molecules down?? Seems to me if you were at the end of fermentation and added a large dose of sucrose, you would end up stressing the yeast causing off flavors...

I get tons on cidery/apple flavors WHENEVER ive used sucrose during primary fermantation which has led me to not ever prime with it, also regarding my above statement.

To each there own of course, but in my mind i like to give my little friends encouragemnt by not skimping on "cheaper" sugar and feeding them what they like to eat.

CHeers!

If the yeast have no problem with sucrose then why do they have to work harder to break the molecules down?? Seems to me if you were at the end of fermentation and added a large dose of sucrose, you would end up stressing the yeast causing off flavors...

I get tons on cidery/apple flavors WHENEVER ive used sucrose during primary fermantation which has led me to not ever prime with it, also regarding my above statement.

To each there own of course, but in my mind i like to give my little friends encouragemnt by not skimping on "cheaper" sugar and feeding them what they like to eat.

CHeers!

Not to threadjack but how much sugar where you using? I've used 3/4 lb of sugar in a dipa with no off flavors at all

Latest posts

Back