new to BIAB - mash temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raney

Reaction score
Recently I have started using beersmith and have been trying to figure out all of the settings. I have always brewed on a normal 3 vessel AG system, but will be doing my first BIAB tomorrow so I threw it into beersmith to see what it recommended. It changed my mash temperature from 154* (for single infusion fly sparging setup) to 156* (which it says is actually Saccharification, rather than the mash...if anybody could elaborate).

Is there a reason for the temperature change, or is it just a beersmith 'quirk'?? I feel like I am missing something as I have never tried BIAB before - is there any difference in mash temperatures or I have I just messed up my settings?

I won't be doing any sparge. It says for my mash-out to raise it to 168 over 7 minutes and hold the temperature for 10 mins before removing my grain..does this sound right? Any help would be appreciated

- Colin.
:mug:

Since you are doing a full volume mash, your strike will likley be lower than doing a stiffer mash on a 3V system. I have no idea why it would change your mash temp...I thought that was inputted data as you desire, not a calculated temp.

For a normal gravity type brew, your strike temp will likely be 160-163 to stabilize for a 153-154 mash temp IME.

The benefit of doing a mashout w/ BIAB is highly debated, sometimes I do, other times I don't bother...YMMV.

Thanks wilserbrewer! That's kind of what I thought re: the temp changes..but when I converted the recipe to BIAB it changed it so I wasn't sure. I will stick to 154* and hope it works out.

I built a new E-BIAB system and will be using one of your bags for the first time tomorrow...the bags look great and I can't wait to use them! To anybody looking for nice custom bags - wilserbrewer is the man! Thanks again for all of the help

- Colin

Latest posts

Back