New to all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smdoty

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve been brewing with extract for probably close to 10 years. Last week I found out that my grandfather-in-law (who owns the local home brew store) was selling off his all grain brewing stuff. I was able to pick up a 10 gallon stainless pot, 7.5 gallon stainless pot, large copper immersion chiller, hot liquor tank, and mash tun for 2 Bens. He threw in 10 lbs of Munich malt. I have to experiment and see if the hefty turkey fryer burner I have is enough BTUs.

Anyway, I was looking for advice on a few easier recipes to try first and any advice for a new all grain brewer.

Can you accurately weigh grains? Can you measure water in a pot? Can you heat the water to a particular temperature and no higher? If so, most recipes will be easy. Start with a recipe that will land your beer at about 1.050 OG. Big beers are harder to plan as the mash efficiency may be lower.

Check out the recipe section here. There are a few classics that many people have tried and tested. Biermunchers centennial blonde, yoopers house pale ale are two that come to mind....

Being relatively new myself, put batch number ten in the fermenter today. Pick a beer style you like, and brew away. It is easier imho to critique a beer style that you already know and love.
Eric

Something simple would be a Single malt and single hop (SMaSH) beer. Brew-dudes on YouTube have a whole series on smash beers.

My advice would be just brew something and have zero expectation on the result and you will be pleasantly surprised. After you do it you’ll feel more comfortable and better about doing it. It’s not as complicated as it feels once you do it. Good luck!

A simple grain bill and hop schedule like a SMaSH as mentioned above keep things simple as you learn the all grain process. I like Maris Otter as a base malt for my house ale that is a SMaSH with Mosaic hops. Mash temp control and water chemistry are important in all grain brewing. I use a turkey fryer burner and it works fine.

Back