New to ales and I need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wester

Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing and have only started drinking ale last year. I usually drink Abbots/Greene king ales and now since I've started homebrewing I reckon it a great opportunity to make some myself.

My problem is, I know what brands I like but I don't know what type of ale they are. Can anyone tell what type of ale is:
Abbots ale
Speckled hen
Hens tooth

Thanks and excuse the ignorance!!

English Pale Ale or ESB.

And if you want to recreate the skunkiness you get in about half the Speckled Hen bottles, you need to use clear bottles and leave them in the light.

I can't understand why the sell that beer in clear bottles. I'll only buy it in cans.

I can't understand why the sell that beer in clear bottles. I'll only buy it in cans.

I have lucked out a couple times and actually bought it in the bottles where it wasn't skunked...but that was only about 1/3 of the time.

I've only found it in cans once or twice.

It is a fantastic beer when it's not skunked.

It's actually abbots ale that I like best. Are they all English pale ales, just different varieties?

I also forgot to ask how they compare to Indian pale ales, I've never tried any before.

India Pale Ale (not Indian) are hoppier, with more bitterness and more hop flavor. Generally more flavorful, or maybe less subtle.

Where are you from wester? I used to work for a Greene king pub so have served plenty of the stuff you mention.

Those you mention fit into the categories of bitter, pale ale and English IPA and aren't very different in comparison to the plethora of different styles out there. They're also pretty easy to replicate due to simplicity of ingredients, however unlike darker beers or very hoppy beers you can't hide mistakes in them.

I'm from Ireland and my local offie only just started stocking ales ( apart from smithwicks) so I'm kinda new to them and wanted to see if I could make something similar.

Latest posts

Back