"New" slightly used chest freezer rust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkrath84

Reaction score
So I got this "new" chest freezer a few days ago that I want to prep for use. It's only 2 years old according to the person I purchased it from and from what I can tell that sounds about right.

As you can see there seems to be a bit of rust developing on the inside of the freezer. In one corner of the freezer it's developing at the seams and then there's this line that goes across all four walls of the freezer that sits just about an inch above the floor.

Should I sand all of these areas down completely and treat with a rust sealer or is this something that looks like I should just clean it with CLR?

rust.jpg

rusty.jpg

I would give it a light sand and re paint it. Just looking at it tho, this doesn't look particularly urgent so if your feeling lazy I am sure it will survive the way it is.

Thanks for chiming in.

Yeah, its not too bad. I think I'll just sand it and paint it today and get it done right out of the gate.

Cheers!

That's what I would do. I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it- the rust is just surface rust and doesn't appear to be affecting the structure of the box.

Back