New question about late extraction.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxBrew

Reaction score
I search and didn't see it discussed. How do you guys dele with having the wort chiller in the pot if adding at flame out ?

So you add the extract while the wort chiller is in the pot ? I've always put my wort chiller in the pot 15min before flame out to sanitize and do not remove it. Just trying to wrap my head around it.

So you add the extract while the wort chiller is in the pot ? I've always put my wort chiller in the pot 15min before flame out to sanitize and do not remove it. Just trying to wrap my head around it.

thats how I do late addition, there's no problems with doing it that way.

I do it the same way. Slowly add the extract so it doesn't stick to the chiller. I know I tend to have clumps of dme if I rush it.

It really isnt necessary to boil the chiller for 15 min. Take the temp after you add all the extract and see how hot the wort is. If you look at pasteurization temperatures they arent that high. Time for pasteurization at boiling is nearly instant. I add my extract at 5 minutes but dont put the chiller in until the pot is off the burner. I have not had problems doing this.

I never put too much thought into why 15 min was needed other than seeing a lot of people posting to do it that long to kill everything that's growing. I'll follow suit and don't put my chiller in until at least the last 5 min.

Pasteurization happens at about 162F,so there's no need to boil the snot out of it. That's overkill,as any pathogens that can harm you die long before 212F. So stir in your late additions,then pop the chiller in & take it off the heat & let it steep for 10-15 minutes. Even 5 minutes would likely do it. I never have problems when steeping late additions & such.

Back