New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
%100 Whole Leaf Cascade - Maris Otter Smash (%6 abv)
I can say it was the best ipa I've ever made.
(I used a total of 400 g of hops for 25 liters. Half of that was for dry hopping by the way)
Pretty new brewer here (3rd BIAB batch after 2 extract brews). My NEIPA (12 pounds 2-row, 2.5 each of wheat malt and flaked oats). Only 20 min hop stand (no boil additions) and the dry hop in primary followed by another dry hop in secondary….Citra, Mosaic, and Nelson as the dry hops). I like this as much as a local brewery…came in at just over 7 ABV.

Terry

IMG_3061 (1).jpg

My German pilsner, was a bit of a odd recipe, called for acid malt, its ok, it will get drank
It called for acidic malt for PH adjustment. Acidic malt is literally just 2row malt sprayed with lactic acid. You shouldn’t use acidic malt without knowing your starting water chemistry. Are you to the point in the hobby where you started adjusting your water chemistry?

It called for acidic malt for PH adjustment. Acidic malt is literally just 2row malt sprayed with lactic acid. You shouldn’t use acidic malt without knowing your starting water chemistry. Are you to the point in the hobby where you started adjusting your water chemistry?
No not yet,

No not yet,
When you get started down that path, I suggest using Bru’n water spread sheet (a HBT member actually created it) Once you download it, read the introduction tab in full. If you need any help you can always reach out to me and I can give you a quick tutorial

I suggest using Bru’n water spread sheet
That changed everything for me. Beers instantly got better and more consistent. After that discovery, felt pretty dumb for ignoring water chemistry for so long, i guess because i thought it was difficult (it's not) and didn't think it was that important (lol).

That changed everything for me. Beers instantly got better and more consistent. After that discovery, felt pretty dumb for ignoring water chemistry for so long, i guess because i thought it was difficult (it's not) and didn't think it was that important (lol).
Lol right. I have a pretty similar story. I def waited because I was intimidated to try water chem but after understanding how each salt effected the ppm of each ion, it’s was super easy

NEIPA - 8.2%
Grain: 2 Row, Spelt, Flaked Oats, Golden Promise
Hops: All Citra (1 lb total for the batch)
Yeast: Verdant IPA

This was based mostly on the Fidens Jasper recipe that has been floating around.

A little under-carbed in the photo but, almost there. This photo is 1 week in the keg.

Turned out really well. Some hop burn as it came out of the fermenter, but that dissipated pretty well in about a week. Once that cleared up, the hop character really came out. Lots of orange, grapefruit, and some other fruit that my palate is unable to discern from one another. And there is a good bitterness along with it to balance it out.

I don't think I particularly like the grain profile that I used. It is a bit grainy and the beer is very light (pictures are darker than what real life illustrates), and I like the little bit of Honey Malt I previously used in recipes. Still going to tweak the grain to get what I personally like. I just feel like a better grain bill would support the hops more.

This is also super drinkable, which makes me really happy. The beer doesn't drive you away, it brings you back in. Which is super important for all beer, but can be hard to obtain in NEIPAs in particular.

The haze on this one is nuts. Best I have ever achieved, if that's your goal. Beer is 100% opaque. And it isn't dropping out at all. Beer still looks the same after 3 weeks in the keg.

I have been away from brewing for some time, so, coming back and making a beer that turned out this well feels really awesome.

Overall, love it. Easy to drink, good aroma and flavor. Good mouthfeel. Didn't oxidize! Some tweaks to make, but that is the fun of it.

NEIPA2.jpg

NEIPA1.jpg

Just finished off the last of this ale made with Ashburne Mild, Golden Promise, and singularly hopped with Ariana (German). Fermented with Irish Ale yeast.
Looks fantastic and unusual. Had to look up Ariana, never heard of them. How do you like the hop?

Looks fantastic and unusual. Had to look up Ariana, never heard of them. How do you like the hop?

Thanks Doc. I taste dark berries from these and then some of the bitterness is similar but with some pineyness on top. Kind of subtle and earthy. I like it! Especially for the deal you can score for a fresh bag!

My over carb'd Cherry
🍒
Wheat

Bottle or keg?

Last edited:
Nearly all Golden Promise with just a touch of Special B, bitterness of 40 IBU with Centennial to balance the pub style malt backbone. A heavy dose of Mandarina Bavaria for 20 minutes in the boil to add mystery. A moderate dose of Centennial again late in the boil, purely for aroma to balance the malt. Comes out at 5.4% ABV.

Brewed a split batch with WY1318 London Ale vs WY1084 Irish Ale. Still deciding which I like best. I think it's the 1318. But when I drink them, I think of an English pub ale and an Irish pub ale, respectively -- what can I say. Here is the 1084:

2023-04-20 16.32.04.jpg

Last edited:
Was it meant to be hazy? No
Is it tasty? Yes

Test batch on a new system after my 2 year break from brewing. All ingredients were purchased prior to the break, earning the name of Stale Pale. 4% tasty yard beer for these crisp 90° Florida days

Attachments

• 20230427_130542.jpg
    20230427_130542.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Mockoktoberfest with Saison yeast after almost two months of maturation, including one month in the refrigerator. If I didn't know it wasn't the real Ocktoberfest with lager yeast, I'd say it was the original.

mock.jpg

Both beers look fantastic. Kolsch is one of my very favorites. I'm drinking one now.

I see you've got a glass from two roads. I have a buddy that lives in Stratford that stops here frequently and he always makes it a point to bring me a truck load. Usually about six cases or so of various stuff. I may have a few in the fridge in the garage right now.

Back