New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Wheatchu Talkin Bout, Willis?'

My Dunkel..

image-1191579978.jpg

before and after shots of my first ever american wheat beer, an all grain BIAB.

didn't have any wheat beer yeast and used US-05 and fermented 2 weeks at 68F.
Secondary 1 week, and bottled for 3. Lots of Carbonation, refreshing on the tongue. good with or without a lemon wedge.

I should also say that I used cracked unmalted wheat from the organic section of my local megamart. I did a 3 step cereal mash 15/15/15 at 122/155/Boil. then added that to the main 75 minute mash. the rest of the grist was 2-row. OG was 1.051, FG 1.008.

Resampled952012-03-319517-36-13950.jpg

Resampled95Image951333234706562.jpg

Rob B - what'd you write on your bottle with?

i'm trying to come up with an inexpensive/easy way to label mine that isn't masking tape...

Last edited by a moderator:
ambersmall.jpg

American Amber Ale, 5.5% ABV, 35 IBU's, SRM 12, 10 oz. of Crystal hops in there, lots of fruity hop aroma that blends well with the crystal 75. I'm entering this one in the Bluebonnet Brew-off, and the Boston Homebrew Comp. my favorite batch by far.

Well I got the results from the Boston Homebrew Comp, here's a link to the 2 judges score sheets

link to 1st score sheet
link to 2nd score sheet

Both judges definetly picked up on the sweet fruit aroma from the heavy late additions of the Crystal hops, one of the judges describes it as "very high on esters". I think I got knocked a few points because they thought the fruity esters where from a hot ferment, but this beer had a 2 liter starter of fresh pacman, fermented in a ferm chamber starting at 58 only rising to 61. Both judges also reccomend mashing at a lower temp, I mashed at 148-152, and it finished at 1.012. Still I enjoy getting someone else's honest feedback.

Got 2 more score sheets for the same beer from the Bluebonnet Brew-Off

link to 3rd score sheet
link to 4th score sheet

These 2 judges didn't pick up on any of the fruity esters. I like what the 3rd judge, the certified one says in the overall impression, "I could drink a bunch of this." The 4th judges score sheet is lacking a little in detail, ha, but it appears he's not even an apprentice. The 4 scores were 34,29,32,32. Average of 32.

I agree with all the judges the bitterness should be bumped up, my next amber will be at 40 IBU's tinseth calculated, or maybe 45. I still wanna keep it sweet though, so the average drinker can enjoy it. I think in a comp you gotta really push those IBU's way up. Next comp entry a single hop Crystal Pale Ale, with a Uinta Wyld grain bill, which I hope to be enjoying next week.

The summit of Mt hood.
Bob's pride of raubsville with summit and Mt hood hops subbed in.
Mighty tasty, but its carbed too high at this point

ForumRunner_20120413_224836.jpg

My first ever home brew, and man is it good!

Tall Pines Pale Ale. So named for the tall pine trees that dominate my property.

A slight variation on John Palmers Cincinnati Pale Ale from his book.

Variations from his recipe are White Labs WLP028 yeast and for water I used rainwater I collected from my roof. :mug:

pale ale 6.jpg

wyldsinglehopcrystal.jpg

American Pale Ale, Single Hop Crystal, 5.1% ABV, 40 IBU's, SRM 7,
14 oz of Crystal hop pellets in there, 10 oz in the boil, 4 oz dry hopped.
20 days old, plate filtered coarse on day 16.

i approve - nice personal touch! talk about "home flavor"...

Thanks for the approval!

I drank the last of my original batch tonight. :( Well almost the last of the original batch.

I am starting a new batch tomorrow with my plain well water. But I did take two bottles from my original rain water batch and hide them in the back of the pantry. They will be used as a control sample to see how my well water compares to rain water.

I have to say that this beer was without a doubt the best beer I have ever tasted. I don't know if it is because the novelty of my first ever home brew tainted me or if it just really is THAT good.

I will have to post a report in a few weeks when the next batch is ready.

Latest posts

Back