New or used chest freezer for keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOGAN

Reaction score
So I have finaly came to the point that I am ready to build my keezer/fermentation chamber.Love to save a buck or two when I can but craigslist does not offer much and the deals that are available are from poorly reviewed freezers.My thought is if I am willing to spend 100 dollars for a used freezer why not go the extra 50 for a new one.What is the best 5 cubic chest freezer for my money?trying to stay away from something that will die out within 2 years.

Most likely I will go with two taps with two 5 cornys or 3 taps with one 5 gal corny and two 3 gal kegs with the tank outside.

The keezer will be for my quicker turn around beers.I still plan to bottle my bigger belgian styles.

Most likely I will go with two taps with two 5 cornys or 3 taps with one 5 gal corny and two 3 gal kegs with the tank outside.

I have a 5 cu ft Lowes special. I got a slightly damaged floor model for under $100. You can get 3 kegs/taps in this with a collar. I can hold 2 5-gallon and 1 3-gallon cornys as well as a 5 lb CO2 tank.

I went CL both times. My first freezer was 24 cu ft for $100. My second is a 14 cu ft that was also $100. The first one lasted about 3 years.

Converting a deep freeze to a refrigerator is hard on the compressor. These components are not meant to cycle as much as we make them. We significantly reduce the lifespan of these appliances.

If you're gonna abuse a freezer, you might as well have as little invested in it as possible...

I say keep checking CL. I got a 2 year old 7 cu ft and a johnson temperature controller for $65. Getting it that cheap allowed me to put the extra money into a nitro tap. The thing runs like a champ.

The good ones go quick - I emailed within a few minutes of the listing being posted and the guy said he had a flood of emails immediately after mine.

Back