New member intro / Recipe building

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capistrano

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm Cap. I've been lurking for a little while, and have finally decided to take the plunge and sign up.

I've brewed before in the past by throwing caution to the wind, with dismal results, and have decided to give it another go.

About me, I've just been trying to brew some cheap as can be sugar wine, just to see if I can get results without spending some cash. Money is very tight for me, but I'm not afraid to spare no expense if long term results are considered.

Also, I have been just jotting down my questions that I have, I was wondering if it would be best to make a thread for each of them, or one big super thread.

Oh, and I make puns, lots of em.

On to this recipe building part of this thread.

I read this recipe in another thread:
I made 1 test gallon. My recipe is.....
3 frozen concentrate apple juices.
1 teaspoon Lalvlin EC 1118.
1/2 pound light brown sugar.
topped off with water to make 1 gallon.
5 Days first stage fermentation.
3 Days second stage fermentation.

So my question are. I have most of the stuff to make this, sparing the EC 1118. I plan to be using packet of K1 -V1116, one of the two yeast my local homebrew store happened to have.

(Yes I have a homebrew store less than 15 minute from my house, be jealous.)

And I also plan to be using just regular granulated sugar.

I'm wondering how I can for 1, scale this up to a 5 gallon recipe, err say, 4 gallon, I dont want to get bubbles in my airtrap thing.

Also, one of my questions has to do with primary and secondary fermentation.

I went and sprung for a 5 gallon jug of spring water..... And plan to siphon off a gallon just to make it work, but I'm wondering, do I need to purchase another carboy or equivalent to make most of these recipes work?

mhmm. yea

Cap~~~

p.s. Sorry if I just double posted, last minute correction.

p.p.s I also was able to purchase some K sorbate, K meta, and "Yeaste Energizer (Nutrient Booster)

I have some cheap and easy recipes posted on this forum (on the left, under my avatar is a list of recipes I posted). The apple juice wine, and the Welch's wine recipe are both easy and cheap and end up tasting really great!

I bought bananas at 19 cents a pound, and I made banana wine. I use all sorts of free or cheap fruits- like rhubarb- and they also make great wines.

Latest posts

Back