'New' Lallemand Yeasts - New England and Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moreb33rplz

Reaction score
I've used the kolsch. it's actually surprisingly good. I need to write it up but I did a split wort between WLP029 (which now seems to be a lager yeast), Gigayeast 021 and the Koln dry yeast and the Koln came out pretty well to me.

Just remember to pitch at 1g per litre for both those yeasts, the pitch rate is higher than some other dry yeasts.

Lol. Thanks. Thought I searched but

I've read all of those but it doesn't sound like anyone has actually used them. I'm pretty sure they're both only recently available on the common homebrew sites as of a month or so ago.

FWIW label peelers had them cheap ish, I paid $4.50 each.

I've used the kolsch. it's actually surprisingly good. I need to write it up but I did a split wort between WLP029 (which now seems to be a lager yeast), Gigayeast 021 and the Koln dry yeast and the Koln came out pretty well to me.

Just remember to pitch at 1g per litre for both those yeasts, the pitch rate is higher than some other dry yeasts.

Good to hear. I really haven’t liked wlp029, gy021 was good, but I’ve got a few packs of the Koln. Interesting you have to pitch so high with these strains.

They say Koln will have significant lag time and is kinda slow. Did you experience that at all?

Good to hear. I really haven’t liked wlp029, gy021 was good, but I’ve got a few packs of the Koln. Interesting you have to pitch so high with these strains.

They say Koln will have significant lag time and is kinda slow. Did you experience that at all?

It was noticeably slower to get started and finish up than the other two, even after aerating and rehydrating. The final product is decent to my tastes though. Closer in flavour to say 2565 but seemed to flocculate out a lot better.

Until i write it up fully, here you go:
https://aussiecraftbrewing.com.au/post/57221/thread

After my experience with their London ESB yeast stopping at 1.020 and hearing about all the others' where this same thing happened, I'm nervous to use any of their yeast anymore.

After my experience with their London ESB yeast stopping at 1.020 and hearing about all the others' where this same thing happened, I'm nervous to use any of their yeast anymore.

That yeast can’t ferment maltotriose, there’s a reason it stoped at 1.020. Same thing probably happened with plenty of liquid yeasts that have the same properties.

I just did an extract bitter with it that went from 1.040 to 1.012 in less than 48 hours.

Lies! All lies!!!

Well, either way, I won't be using that yeast again. Suppose the new Kolsch yeast they have is worth a shot.

I think they're talking about the London ESB that probably 95% of people complained it stopping at 1.020 no matter what they did to help attenuation.
Correct!

It's an English strain, so you have to treat it accordingly. Also, higher final gravity does not necessarily mean a bad beer or sweet beer.

The Kölsch i recently brewed with Lalbrew Köln picked up equal 1st place on points (84/100) in the pale ale category here at the NSW State Homebrew competition 2019. Gigayeast GY021 version of the same wort ended up a few points less but beat it at the final ranking, so the dry yeast ended up in 2nd place overall after ranking. Not just the kolsch category but up against belgian pale ales, blonde, cream ales and australian sparkling ales.

I wrote up a bit about it as well... I was limited to 2 entries per category otherwise I would have put the WLP029 version in as well.
http://sykesey.id.au/?p=12

To me right now the WLP029 is a fine beer but the Koln has a little more of that flavour to make it a more interesting beer

Last edited:
i used the New England and pitched 2 packets into 5.75 gal of wort per recommendations, beer finished at 1.012 but i dont care for the flavor. doesnt have the type of citrus i get with A38 or LAIII

i used the New England and pitched 2 packets into 5.75 gal of wort per recommendations, beer finished at 1.012 but i dont care for the flavor. doesnt have the type of citrus i get with A38 or LAIII

Can you elaborate? Is it OK but not as good as LAIII/A38, or straight bad?

Can you elaborate? Is it OK but not as good as LAIII/A38, or straight bad?

I really dont like how my beer turned out-its borderline chemical tasting- and its a recipe i have made several times with great success each time. it could be something else that happened impacting my beer, but i wont be risking it as 22g of this yeast costs as much as A38/LAIII anyway. no benefit to me.

The Kölsch i recently brewed with Lalbrew Köln picked up equal 1st place on points (84/100) in the pale ale category here at the NSW State Homebrew competition 2019. Gigayeast GY021 version of the same wort ended up a few points less but beat it at the final ranking, so the dry yeast ended up in 2nd place overall after ranking. Not just the kolsch category but up against belgian pale ales, blonde, cream ales and australian sparkling ales.

I wrote up a bit about it as well... I was limited to 2 entries per category otherwise I would have put the WLP029 version in as well.
http://sykesey.id.au/?p=12

To me right now the WLP029 is a fine beer but the Koln has a little more of that flavour to make it a more interesting beer

021 is in my starter right now. My favorite Kolsch yeast so far.

I picked up two packets during the labelpeelers sale last month, and am currently drinking the beer I made with it, which was based on Michael Dawson's Pequod Session IPA recipe.

Fermented in the mid-60s, and was finished in about 12 days. I'd say it has more of the "fruit basket" character than chico, but is certainly nothing close to conan or LAIII in terms of ester character. I think it made a nice beer, but given the price, I'll probably go with liquid culture in the future.

Got a Kolsch with the new Koln yeast lagering at the moment... It’ll be another 3 weeks of so before all is said and done. Last gravity samples were promising but there was too much yeast in suspension to get a true feeling for it. Zero sulphur, rather fruity even though it was fermented on the cold side. Fermentation didn’t seem to sluggish and didn’t seem to take that long to finish out but I did “overpitch” by typical dry yeast standards.

For those using the New England strain have you been pitching two packets? Supposedly the cell count is rather low per gram.

I have a Strata IPA fermenting with it now. it's been 3 days and airlock activity is already slowing down (I know that's not a perfect indicator of fermentation activity). We'll see. I've brewed this recipe before with 1056 and it was great. I'll report back in a couple weeks.

I have a Strata IPA fermenting with it now. it's been 3 days and airlock activity is already slowing down (I know that's not a perfect indicator of fermentation activity). We'll see. I've brewed this recipe before with 1056 and it was great. I'll report back in a couple weeks.

It took the wort from 1062-->1013 in 6 days. Grain to glass on 13 days. Tastes great. I will use this year again

It took the wort from 1062-->1013 in 6 days. Grain to glass on 13 days. Tastes great. I will use this year again

Finally a positive review! I bought 2 packs of this stuff and it's been sitting in my fridge cuz everyone here says it was crappy

Finally a positive review! I bought 2 packs of this stuff and it's been sitting in my fridge cuz everyone here says it was crappy

Well, I can't speak to whether or not it is similar to Conan, etc... as I've never used that. But it fermenter well and tastes good.

I've got two batches with the New England strain under my belt. double IPA and pale ale. both came out great. Hearing this was the conan strain I underpitched a little and fermented at 68. I did indeed get the peach aroma that compliments the hops very well. bottom line, I will keep this strain in my yeast bank. Have the kolsch yeast, just haven't used it yet (fall is here and I've been stuck into brewing stronger, hoppier beers)

To those with experience with the New England strain... Any diacetyl issues? I used the Conan strain from another yeast lab twice and it _would not_ clean up until I pitched some US-05. It wasn't my 100% favorite anyway... but I'm just curious.

To those with experience with the New England strain... Any diacetyl issues? I used the Conan strain from another yeast lab twice and it _would not_ clean up until I pitched some US-05. It wasn't my 100% favorite anyway... but I'm just curious.

No diacetyl from this yeast, or any other ale yeast since I acquired the ability to micromanage my fermentation temperatures.

I rehydrated 1 pack of the New England and pitched into 5.5 gal of 1.051 ESB at 68F. So I just did a typical dry yeast pitching rate. It started fermenting the next day, so lag time was not really an issue. Started raising the temp after about 3 or 4 days slowly up to about 71F. It did take about 10 days to fully finish fermenting down to FG, which was 1.012. So pretty good attenuation especially since this was a quick extract batch I was using to try out the yeast, and there was 1.25 lbs of crystal malts in it. When transferring to keg (Day 14) there were some big yeast rafts/flakes remaining on top with similar flat chunks in the yeast cake, which was kinda weird. The beer had a slight haze but was overall pretty clear and tasted good in the hydrometer sample.

I've had it in the keg for about a week now and I think it tastes really good. It is fairly fruity in a really nice stone fruit, tropical, maybe red apple kind of way. No diacetyl or any other off flavors that I can detect. Definitely not as Englishy as 1318 and not quite as fruity, but the esters it has are really nice. I've never used Conan so I can't really compare it to that.

Honestly I can't stop drinking it. Definitely want to try this in an IPA, and I will probably use it for a lot of my American and British styles. As others said, Label Peelers has it for about $6 and they just had a Halloween sale where I got a couple packs for $4.50 each. Free shipping for dry yeast too. I bought the Koln yeast during that sale too just to try it out. Glad to hear it has some positive reviews.

I pitched 2 packets of the NE IPA on a batch of NEIPA with a OG of 1.067. I rehydrates in wort that I pulled off and cooled while doing the 40 minute hop stand. Rehydrate wort was 75 when I pitched. Rehydrates for 20 minutes before pitching that mixture into the batch. Put in a 64 degree room and fermentation started in about 6 hours and is at high krausen now about 60 hours post pitch.

Interestingly enough, I went to the website and they recommended pitching 4 packets!!! That seems crazy to me. Hoping I didn’t under pitch.

I pitched 2 packets of the NE IPA on a batch of NEIPA with a OG of 1.067. I rehydrates in wort that I pulled off and cooled while doing the 40 minute hop stand. Rehydrate wort was 75 when I pitched. Rehydrates for 20 minutes before pitching that mixture into the batch. Put in a 64 degree room and fermentation started in about 6 hours and is at high krausen now about 60 hours post pitch.

Interestingly enough, I went to the website and they recommended pitching 4 packets!!! That seems crazy to me. Hoping I didn’t under pitch.

In my opinion 4 packets is more expensive than buying liquid and making a starter.

Back