Lallemand Kolsch Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwible

I drink, and I know things
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve not been a dry yeast guy and I have a pack of Lallend Kolsch Yeast. I don’t brew Kolsch and am wondering what this could be used for. Their description says:

“LalBrew Köln™ is ideal for brewing traditional Kölsch-style beers and other neutral ales. The neutral character of this strain accentuates delicate hop aromas while imparting subtle fruity esters. Through expression of a beta-glucosidase enzyme LalBrew Köln™ can promote hop biotransformation and accentuate hop flavor and aroma. Colder fermentations will be more neutral in character, while warmer fermentations will have more fruit-forward ester profile.”

So its good for “neutral ales” . I’m wondering about the biotransformation bit. Some say this is a real thing, others believe its nonsense.

Would this yeast be good for a centennial blonde ale recipe, or possibly a pale ale? What styles are good matches that can be brewed with this yeast?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think it would be good for either or both of those. The centennial blonde ale would benefit from its expression of hops, and the pale ale would be good whether you take advantage of the biotransformation or not. To take advantage of the biotransformation, you need to dry hop during active fermentation and also use hops that have "survivable compounds" such as cascade, citra, or mosaic.

Then if you were going to dry hop during active fermentation, would you decrease or not use late hop additions in the boil? Say anything 15 min or less.

I know that I'm late, but no, you don't have to decrease late hops.

Back