New Kegerator Set up....leak question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingInVT

Reaction score
So I haven't brewed in two years. I washed out my kegs...left on tap two years ago...cleaned the lines...and bought a new regulator. All good to go.

Kegged a beer today and put on Co2. bubbled like crazy when sprayed around the lid. So clearly need new gasket there...I think, right?

Also, could not get anything up thru the tap...I'm sure this is because no co2 was pushing it. right again?

I"ll hit homebrew store tomorrow for new lid/gasket. Thats my only issue, am I right three times?

I hope so!

--pk

Pours fine (un carbonated) if i leave it on the Co2. So i guess i'm just acting like the noob i am once again. lol.

And obviously not leaving on the Co2 until i get a good seal.

I don't know if I'd say that it's essential, but it sure does help. I use it on all the keg rubber. Consider it cheep insurance.

If you are purging the headspace with co2 then you should get adequate pressure to seal. Keg lube is never a bad idea though.
Pours fine (un carbonated) if i leave it on the Co2. So i guess i'm just acting like the noob i am once again. lol.

And obviously not leaving on the Co2 until i get a good seal.

Yeah...got that part. so from 0/little pressure it can kinda sneak out, but at some point...it becomes enough to actually seal it and not escape. Feel foolish. Still gonna get some keg lube and new parts though.

A good method to seal the lid is to hold it in place without latching. Hook the gas up and give it 20-30 psi, the lid will seat itself and you can move it around to get centered, then latch.

Ah. That's an excellent idea. Thanks much. I feel much better about my first brew in two years being in my kegerator now, and even better about my 2 liter starter of Vermont Ale yeast and the heady topper clone kit I have from northern brewer about to go into the grainfather. As a former regular at The Alchemist, I look forward to seeing how it compares to the real deal!

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back