New Keg Questions From An Idiot..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
So, I've started small and have the 2.5 gal corny keg with ball lock, picnic style tap & the pocket c02 injector for serving.

The 1st couple days were ok, had 2 pints, both with good head, now I'm starting to lose head and it's tasting a little flat? Am I doing something wrong?

I left the picnic tap plugged in via the ball lock while in the fridge, should I have just tapped a pint, then unplugged it for later use ? Could that have caused it ?

And when I inject a few squirts of C02, I also unplug that from the ball lock.

I plan on getting some actual C02 with a gauge, but for now I have about a dozen 16gram cartridges, would hate for them to just go to waste..

I think you need to keep it connected to the gas because as you draw beer, the headspace in the keg increases and the CO2 needs to fill that space. I could be wrong, I am very new to kegging.

You're not an idiot, you just don't know which never makes you an idiot. An idiot wouldn't ask questions. ;)

^

The pocket charger has no gauge, I think the only time C02 is released is when I pull the trigger a couple times, I don't think it disperses gas on it's own?? I could be wrong, hope I am wrong, cause that would solve the problem...

I was under the impression that those little pocket charger CO2 cartridges were only intended for serving beer that was already carbonated. Am I understanding you correct that you've not already carbonated the beer and are expecting these little canisters to carbonate the entire keg of beer, in addition to providing serving pressure?

^

The pocket charger has no gauge, I think the only time C02 is released is when I pull the trigger a couple times, I don't think it disperses gas on it's own?? I could be wrong, hope I am wrong, cause that would solve the problem...

No, you're right. You're losing carbonation from attrition every time you pull a pint. Those pocket chargers can be handy, but they're designed to serve beer, not maintain carbonation over a length of time. You may be able to maintain the carb level better if you give the keg a short shot of gas after every pull or every other pull. With no gauge, there's always the risk of overcarbonation if you get too trigger happy with it.

I think you need to keep it connected to the gas because as you draw beer, the headspace in the keg increases and the CO2 needs to fill that space. I could be wrong, I am very new to kegging.

You're not an idiot, you just don't know which never makes you an idiot. An idiot wouldn't ask questions. ;)

Exactly this.

The keg needs to be on constant CO2 in equilibrium.Say the keg was carbed to 2.3 volumes and you have it in the fridge at 40 degrees. Then you want to keep it at 10PSI constantly or else it will gradually go flat as Hello said.

As you dispense liquid, you increase volume in the keg. With a static amount of CO2 in the headspace (from not having it on gas constantly) the pressure level will decrease with the increased headspace volume. Then the CO2 in solution will come out to reach equilibrium with the headspace.

No, you're right. You're losing carbonation from attrition every time you pull a pint. Those pocket chargers can be handy, but they're designed to serve beer, not maintain carbonation over a length of time. You may be able to maintain the carb level better if you give the keg a short shot of gas after every pull or every other pull. With no gauge, there's always the risk of overcarbonation if you get too trigger happy with it.

They sell little gauges for these mini-C02's that will keep PSI, but they want about $140 for one ! I may just have to break down and get a small C02 tank early, I'd hate for another batch to go flat...

Also, are there cheap taps I can just plug into this ball lock? Instead of this 2 feet of picnic tubing I'm dealing with ?

Also, are there cheap taps I can just plug into this ball lock? Instead of this 2 feet of picnic tubing I'm dealing with ?

You're not going to like my answer: 2 feet of tubing is way, way too short.

The tubing provides pressure resistance enabling you to serve beer without it foaming like crazy. The shorter the tubing, the less resistance, and more foamy the pour, unless you dial the pressure of the keg way back.

A rough rule of thumb is that each foot of tubing provides 1 psi of resistance. So if you want to leave the pressure on your keg at 10 psi, then you would need 10 feet of tubing in order to achieve a calm, gentle pour from the tap. You can get away with shorter hoses, but you'd have to turn down the pressure (and vent with the pressure release valve) when serving, then turn the pressure back up when you're done to prevent your beer from losing carbonation.

My tubing is generally 6-8 feet long, and I just leave my pressure at 12 psi all the time. My pours are a little fast, but if I'm careful (open the tap all the way instead of halfway, aim the stream down the inside slope of the glass) I can usually get a nice pour with the perfect amount of head, and I don't have to fuss with lowering and re-raising the pressure on multiple kegs before and after a night of drinking.

^

Ok, so I'll have to stick with the tubing, lol. Told you guys I was new at this. :) . Anyway, It's actually 4 feet. Came with this setup:

2.5 gallon soda keg

CO2 injection system

Ten 16 gm. CO2 cartridges

ball lock CO2 fitting

ball lock liquid fitting

4 feet low foam line

and picnic tap

I was under the impression that those little pocket charger CO2 cartridges were only intended for serving beer that was already carbonated. Am I understanding you correct that you've not already carbonated the beer and are expecting these little canisters to carbonate the entire keg of beer, in addition to providing serving pressure?

The beer was naturally carbed, just using C02 to disperse.

Back