New Keezer! Ready for action?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebush3

Reaction score
Hello all. I've been lurking here for a while and decided a couple of months ago to build a keezer. I got several of the parts for Christmas, which motivated me to get moving on the build, and I think it's ready for action.

I've read a lot of posts on this site (and others), but before I actually try to pull a draft beer I want to make sure I'm not missing some critical step or test.

I'm not going to get too much into detail about the build here (hope to do that later in a separate thread), but here are the general specs of my keezer:

Kenmore 7.1 cu/ft freezer
Tapright primary regulator
Tapright 3 way secondary regulator
2 Perlick faucets
2 SS Shank assemblies
5 lb CO2 tank
2 Taprite SS Sankey Type D Couplers (I don't home brew, yet.)
Gas Line: 5/16 ID, 9/16 OD Red
Beer Line: Ultra Barrier Silver 3/16 ID, 7/16 OD (10' lines to start)

I attached all the lines using Oetiker clamps.

Gas side:
Primary regulator to tank: I didn't use a washer b/c O ring included on reg
Primary to secondary Reg: FFL to Barb swivel nut with 1/4" tailpiece washer
Secondary to coupler: FFL Barb with 1/4" tailpiece washer

Beer Side:
Coupler to Beer Line: Tailpiece with Hex nut to Coupler with "Beer" washer b/t tailpiece and coupler.
Beer line to Shank: Tailpiice with Hex nut to Shank with "Beer" washer b/t tailpiece and coupler.

Yesterday I hooked the freezer to the temp controller and let everything cool down (set for 35 F). Today I picked up to 1/6 kegs (Vienna 8 point IPA and Mich Ultra). They are in the keezer cooling and I have attached all the lines, but not tapped either keg.

I pressurized the system to the couplers. Primary pressure set to 20 lbs, secondary to 10 pounds. I turned off the gas at the bottle and left the system pressurized to check for leaks.

So, if the pressure holds, am I ready to tap sometime tonight or tomorrow?

This is my first keezer and first time dealing with draft beer at home other than with a party tap, so I don't want to miss a step that would be obvious to someone with more experience.

Any feedback is appreciated. Here are a couple of shots of my setup prior to connecting the lines:

IMAG0684-M.jpg

IMAG0691-M.jpg

Thanks!

Maybe I missed it, but are you using a controller?

Are you planning to insulate the inner face of the collar?

How many cornies will fit in there? (I'm guessing 3, maybe 4 in the deep section)
Are you planning to add more faucet (s)?

Do you get any fogging in the gauges on those regulators?

insulate that collar and get some damprid or an eva-dry in there to keep moisture/mold away. otherwise if you have no leaks you should be good.

Maybe I missed it, but are you using a controller?

Are you planning to insulate the inner face of the collar?

How many cornies will fit in there? (I'm guessing 3, maybe 4 in the deep section)
Are you planning to add more faucet (s)?

Do you get any fogging in the gauges on those regulators?

Yes, I'm using a Johnson A419 controller. Currently set to 35 F. I know, a little low, but I'll probably but it up a bit now that everything has had a chance to come to temp. I'll probably test beer temp first.

Not sure how many cornies will fit since I don't home brew yet. However, I can get at least two sixtels (maybe 3) in the bottom with one on the hump if I use a low profile sankey coupler. I would say you can get at least 4 if not 5 cornies, but don't quote me on that as I haven't measured.

I left enough room to add a third faucet between the two I have now. I didn't put it in from the start b/c I didn't know for sure if I could fit three sixtels in there. I probably won't ever use three taps unless I start home brewing or have a big party.

So far no fogging!

Thanks for the reply!

I'll probably insulate the collar, I'm just not sure with what yet.

Plan is to get a eva-dry in the near future.

Thanks!

So when I woke up this morning the primary reg pressure was steady, but the secondary had lost a couple of pounds of pressure each. In the hope that it was due to everything being a little warm when I pressurized it, I reset the pressures and went to work.

About 12 hrs later I got home and all pressures held. I tapped both kegs and poured a beer from each. A little foam from each, but I'm hoping that is a first pour issue. We'll see soon.

Thanks to all who replied and to those who have posted on this forum in the past. I learned a lot from those posts that have gotten me to this point.

Cheers! More to follow...

So when I woke up this morning the primary reg pressure was steady, but the secondary had lost a couple of pounds of pressure each. In the hope that it was due to everything being a little warm when I pressurized it, I reset the pressures and went to work.

About 12 hrs later I got home and all pressures held. I tapped both kegs and poured a beer from each. A little foam from each, but I'm hoping that is a first pour issue. We'll see soon.

Thanks to all who replied and to those who have posted on this forum in the past. I learned a lot from those posts that have gotten me to this point.

Cheers! More to follow...

I have a 1x10" collar and never insulated it I also did not put a dehumidifier in it....I did add a computer fan to minimize stratification. No problems for me. Mine stays in the basement where ambient is a constant 68. If you live in Arizona and want your keezer out by the pool then you may need to do something different.

Back