new keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sderenne

Reaction score
I picked up a clean Kenmore 15 on CL a few days ago for $40. :ban:Score
My main concern on this is the hinges that are on the door now are a post style internal hinge. image.jpg
Has anyone successfully built a collar that these posts slide into? Should I just remove these and buy the external hinges and mount them on the back?

Yes a steel sleeve in a solid corner should work. Hinges are not cheap they cost more than I payed for the whole freezer.

there is a bolt on the back side. If you remove it, the pin will come out. You can then build a collar, drill and sleeve a hole to reinsert the hinge
This is what I did today. I am a welder fabricator not a carpenter but it came out ok. I used 3\8 steel pipe inserted in a 5/8" hole nice and snug.Then drilled and tapped two 1/4" bolts each side to set for height adjustment on the door gasket.IMG_20150514_192739.jpg

IMG_20150516_174741.jpg

IMG_20150516_174749.jpg

IMG_20150516_174805.jpg

IMG_20150516_174948.jpg

Will the door seal/gasket seal ok on the wood or should I add some type of finish or vinyl tape or something?

Something to think about, I made a cutout in the collar and inserted the controller in it. Made cut out on back and installed an outlet. cut the tab to make it two separate outlets. made a cord to plug into wall and go to permanent hot side of outlet. That feeds stc100 with 14-3 and comes back to control other outlet. Which the freezer is plugged into. The permanent hot outlet will control my fan when I get it. You have all your wires internal then.

Back