New IPA glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you tell a difference from a regular pint glass

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have these same glasses and while I do enjoy drinking out of this glass, imho it doesn't make a huge difference in the taste/aroma of the beer over a regular pint glass.

I had one of these, until my roommate broke it :(

I won't get one again, because I honestly prefer a tulip. That glass looks like a sex toy, and it feels like the beer I'm drinking is over carbed.The aroma of an IPA in that glass vs a pint glass is easily identifiable...but it's also on par with a tulip. I rarely ever drink an IPA from a pint glass anymore because of that.

There's nothing "new" about these glasses either. These are a rehash of Riedel wine glasses with good marketing behind it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UE7HYC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The sales pitches are solid, and the marketing is old fashioned boots on the ground. The sales reps seem to find their way into about every BJCP comp dinner, homebrew club, and craft beer meeting ever and hold "information session" about the importance of glassware. Imagine that ... a manufacturer of glasses telling you how important glasses are.

It's not the cheapest way to sell goods, but the people who buy them then in turn become big advocates for it because how else do you rationalize spending $20 on a glass that is basically just a holder as good as a $3 glass?

I think they have a well made glass, though. Just not my cup of tea. Here's a set of glasses you can find very cheaply all over. I love these. The tulip and the tall one filled with an amber beer in the picture are my favorite. I love that one with the amber beer. Perfect glass.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006PKHD9U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing "new" about these glasses either. These are a rehash of Riedel wine glasses with good marketing behind it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UE7HYC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The sales pitches are solid, and the marketing is old fashioned boots on the ground. The sales reps seem to find their way into about every BJCP comp dinner, homebrew club, and craft beer meeting ever and hold "information session" about the importance of glassware. Imagine that ... a manufacturer of glasses telling you how important glasses are.

It's not the cheapest way to sell goods, but the people who buy them then in turn become big advocates for it because how else do you rationalize spending $20 on a glass that is basically just a holder as good as a $3 glass?

I think they have a well made glass, though. Just not my cup of tea. Here's a set of glasses you can find very cheaply all over. I love these. The tulip and the tall one filled with an amber beer in the picture are my favorite. I love that one with the amber beer. Perfect glass.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006PKHD9U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They are 10 dollars a glass not 20, they do make a difference as far as aroma goes and do so better then any tulip glass I've ever had BUT they are super thin and easily broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a pair of these when Dogfishhead released their etch logo'd version.
They are wicked light but mine are still in one piece (somewhat amazingly, really)...

Cheers!

They definitely do make a difference in aroma, but I'm always afraid I'll break it. I use mine every so often, but I prefer a nonic with an etched bottom.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Home Brew mobile app

Tend to disagree with the HUGE difference comments. My buddy got a few over the summer and brought them to several of our beer tastings. Having only two, that meant that several other people had different types of glasses. Side by side with other types, huge difference? Not really. The biggest difference we have ever seen at our tastings that impact flavor and aroma has been the temperature of the beer, and that is free...

Anything to do with senses is going to vary from one person to another, so no one can say that it does make a difference or doesn't. To some it may, to others it may not.

My own personal experience, and I have bad sinus issues, is there is a noticeable difference between serving my IPA in these glasses versus serving it in a standard pint glass. One is visible, in that there is more head produced in these glasses, another is that the initial aroma generally lasts a bit longer, and lastly, due to the stem, the beer stays colder a bit longer versus a pint glass warmed by the thermal transfer from your hand on the glass.

I haven't pulled mine out of the cupboard in months. I was stoked when I first got it at SN brewery but the more I used it the more I didn't care for it. To me it makes a beer lose carbination way too fast. That's just me, more power to the guys who dig them.

I have several of the dogfishhead etched ones. I enjoy drinking out of them. It seems there definitely an increase of aroma, that's about it. I also enjoy drinking beer out of a wide mouth pint Mason jar.

Anything to do with senses is going to vary from one person to another, so no one can say that it does make a difference or doesn't. To some it may, to others it may not.

My own personal experience, and I have bad sinus issues, is there is a noticeable difference between serving my IPA in these glasses versus serving it in a standard pint glass. One is visible, in that there is more head produced in these glasses, another is that the initial aroma generally lasts a bit longer, and lastly, due to the stem, the beer stays colder a bit longer versus a pint glass warmed by the thermal transfer from your hand on the glass.

Try using a standard snifter/tulip..they do almost literally the same thing that this glass does, but the head isn't out of control. That and you can hold it by the stem, and not warm it at all :)

I refuse to drink out of a pint glass anymore. I have a glass for each style of beer, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have several of the dogfishhead etched ones. I enjoy drinking out of them. It seems there definitely an increase of aroma, that's about it. I also enjoy drinking beer out of a wide mouth pint Mason jar.

Ball brought back the wide mouth 1.5 pint jars after a 10+ year hiatus. They are even better! Good for pickles too.

I really like these glasses. Even if it's in my head, the beers sure taste good. Course, as mentioned above....they are made of extremely thin glass. Mine lasted several months and just exploded sitting in the kitchen sink one afternoon. I'm sure it had some kind of crack forming that I didn't see. Scared the hell out of us.

Back