New in Windsor,CO. Also, some questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm Jeff from Windsor, CO (ANOTHER Coloradan!) and I just brewed my first batch last Friday night. (Second, technically, but I don't consider coffee pot beer a real "brew"...check the article at http://http://southernfriedscience.com/2009/04/26/how-to-brew-beer-in-a-coffee-maker-using-only-materials-commonly-found-on-a-modestly-sized-oceanographic-research-vessel/). In any case, my first real brew was a simple porter.

If anyone could answer a question or 2, I'd highly appreciate it. I'm a LITTLE freaked and I've been trying the RDWHAHB method, but there's always a tiny nagging in my brain.

Here's the skinny on my problem:

I pitched my yeast really late on Friday night. Currently it is roughly Monday at 8pm. I had a violent initial fermentation stage (roughly one bubble out the airlock every second) that lasted until about this morning. It was down to about a bubble every 19 seconds about 4 hours ago, and now it's down to about 1 bubble every 30-35 seconds. I know it's pretty common for homebrews to finish the initial fermentation stage and start the sedimentation stage after about 3 days, but is my bubble rate normal? I was told at roughly 1 bubble a minute, it was done fermenting (for the most part) and ready for bottling. Any ideas? If need be, I can supply the yeast type/brand if anyone thinks it's the problem. Is altitude a problem?

Sounds like it is doing fine. Even though you are seeing fewer bubbles, there is still plenty going on in there.
You will hear this often, but be patient. Don't panic and let it do it's thing for a few more days.

Yeah, I know, patience is a virtue...I was expecting roughly a 3 week period until drinkability, but the drastic drop in bubble rate has me a little freaked. If it turns out to have virtually no blow off, I know that there are ways to "re-suspend" the yeast. Believe me, I won't even consider it for another few days, but is it a viable option?

Also, how is it possible to take another hydrometer reading without removing the airlock from the carboy? I've read several times to take hydrometer readings over several days, but doesn't that introduce oxygen? Or is it only with stirring that and splashing that oxygen is dissolved in the liquid? I haven't messed with it yet, but that also has been nagging in my brain.

Welcome aboard!

First off, it sounds like everything's fine. My advice? Put the beer in a cool, dark place and ignore it until two weeks after you pitched the yeast.

Even when beer reaches its terminal gravity, the yeast can continue to "eat" some of the byproducts of fermentation. A little extra time on the yeast won't hurt the beer, and might just improve it.

Second, for "beginner" brewers, six weeks from brewing to drinking is a better guess. Give the beer some time, and it will reward you.

That's all good stuff to know...drinking it 6 weeks from now won't be too hard, but where does that put the bottling time? Once I bottle it, I'll be able to start the process of making another batch (I've only got one carboy at the moment), which I anticipate more than actually drinking it anyways. The more you brew, the better you get, I assume.

Currently it's been sitting in a coat closet at a stable and steady 70 degrees...a little warmer than I'd like, but about as cool as it is going to get. I've been reading books on homebrewing for about a week, but I think getting advice from people who are brewing RIGHT NOW would be better than reading some dude's book.

By the way, is there a chart or anything available that shows bubbles per minute for various types of beer during the fermentation stage over the entire course of fermentation? I know it varies greatly from brew to brew, but maybe seeing some numbers would put my mind at ease.....

You don't need to take a hydrometer reading until you are getting close to bottling or moving to a secondary. At that point you can take a reading.
I usually spray sanitiser around the top of my carboy before removing the stopper. You cn use either a sanitised turkey baster or wine thief to get your samples. If after two to three samples come up with the same gravity reading, you are done.

+1 on Revvy's rant. He has a good thread on your subject.

If someone would post the link, I'd LOOOOOVE to check it out. Until then, I'll just do a search...

Since Revvy's still absent from this thread, allow me to paraphrase:

Bubbles don't mean anything.

It's too easy for escaping CO2 to find another route out of your fermenter for bubbling to be a reliable indicator. A hydrometer is the most reliable instrument in the brewer's possession for monitoring a ferment.

Personally, I prefer time over repeatedly opening and closing fermenters for sampling. I recommend leaving beer in the primary for two to three weeks, then bottling or kegging.

Here's a link to one of the Rev's "bubbling" rants. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/no-bubble-airlock-143924/#post1638779

Thanks for posting. I did find that thread already, but it'll be handy to have at my fingertips. And after watching I understand why you say 6 weeks total. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your ever down in the Springs I'll be glad to show you 8-9 carboys in various stages of fermentation, just shoot me a PM. At the moment I'm brewing a 10Gal batch every weekend to stock up my supplies in prep for my kegerator cristening party and need to provide the full 12 taps and have some to spare incase I blow a keg.

I actually go even longer than that. I leave it in primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 2-3 weeks, and bottle for 3 weeks.

What could I do for a secondary fermenter? It's a pretty basic robust porter, and as simple as the instructions were, they didn't mention a second fermentation, just a single in the 6 1/2 gallon carboy. I wouldn't mind doing it...whatever makes it a better beer.

Would I be able to siphon it to a second container gently, clean the carboy, and siphon it back into my freshly sanitized carboy?

I am always up for having a brew...there isn't much better.

I'm not too worried about them anymore. Everyone here has been more than supportive, and I read the Rev's Bubbling Rant....it seems to make more than enough sense.

I'm in Denver pretty often. I live in Windsor, and my family lives near Longmont. I generally make it to the city once every other week or so.

Secondary isn't necesarry. Just leave it as long as you can in primary then as long as you can in bottles.

Send me a note when you're in town. Also, I agree with WIP, after lots of reading around here, I've gone to a 4 or so week primary, 3+ weeks in bottles, without a secondary.

Send me a note when you're in town. Also, I agree with WIP, after lots of reading around here, I've gone to a 4 or so week primary, 3+ weeks in bottles, without a secondary.

I will definitely leave a note if I head that way soon. I've been doing more reading and more studying. Hasn't started to clear much, but it is a porter so I'm not sure how much clearing I'll even be able to see. Activity has seemd to INCREASE over the last 24 hrs, which seems a little odd to me, but whatever works.

Chances are I'll run with your 4 weeks in primary idea, and then drink a test bottle every 10 days to see where it stands.

Thanks to all for the help and support.

I typically do 3 weeks primary, 4-6 in the bottle.

I live in Erie, just south of Longmont.

HAH! Technically my family lives in Dacono, which is only about 5 minutes away from Erie. New fancy Erie, or the older part of the town?

Hello and welcome to HBT.

I am not sure where all the BS about bubbles in the airlock comes from. CO2 outgassing has little to nothing to do with how much sugar the yeastie beasties are eating.

The ONLY way to tell if your fermentation is finished is to measure it with a hydrometer. As was mentioned, get a Wine Thief

5020.jpg

Spray some Star-San from a spray bottle around the neck of the carboy. Make sure the Wine Thief is clean AND sanitized. Carefully place your hydrometer inside the Wine Thief. Remove the air lock and slowly lower the Wine Thief into the fermenting beer until the hydrometer floats. Remove the Wine Thief and replace the airlock. The valve on the bottom of the Wine Thief will prevent your sample from going back into the beer. Read and record the hydrometer reading. Taste the fermenting beer. Take readings everyday. When you get the same hydrometer reading 2 days in a row, the beer is finished fermenting.

You can leave the beer on the yeast. Others prefer to transfer it off the yeast into another vessel. You can purchase an Ale Pail

4218.jpg

Or a Better Bottle

LDBB06.jpg

or another glass carboy.

In fact, I do suggest you have a few of each. You will need something to transfer your beer into before you bottle. With multiple carboys or other vessels, you can brew every week and fill up your pipeline so you don't run out of homebrew.

If you would ever care to observe an all-grain brew session down in the SW suburbs of Littleton, drop me a PM.

Again, welcome to HBT and the fun that is homebrewing.

Thanks for the info. I do have an ale pail with a spigot on it for easy bottling.

However, here is the new issue:

I DID take a hydrometer reading earlier today and it is the precise reading that my recipe calls for. The problem is that it's only been a week since I pitched the yeast.

Any answers?

Thanks for the info. I do have an ale pail with a spigot on it for easy bottling.

However, here is the new issue:

I DID take a hydrometer reading earlier today and it is the precise reading that my recipe calls for. The problem is that it's only been a week since I pitched the yeast.

Any answers?

take gravity reading over a few days to make sure it is consistent. Also if your beer temp is above 60F you will need to adjust the reading for the temp. I give 2-3 weeks in the primary just to let the yeast do their job completely.

Measure it again tomorrow. If the reading drops, it is not done. If it is the same, primary fermentation is done. You can then transfer it to another clean and sanitized container for at least another week. Or you can leave it in your carboy for another week.

After the initial fermentation is finished, the yeast will drop out and the beer will clear. This usually takes at least one week, with flocculant yeast. Transferring the beer off of the trub may help the clarification process.

Just because the recipe says the FG will be such and such a number doesn't mean that will be your FG. Different conditions yield different results. Your beer may finish lower. Relax and don't worry ;)

Your beer will taste better if you let it sit and age a bit before you bottle it.

take gravity reading over a few days to make sure it is consistent. Also if your beer temp is above 60F you will need to adjust the reading for the temp. I give 2-3 weeks in the primary just to let the yeast do their job completely.

That was the plan. I'm sure I'm just a little freaked about my first real attempt. Even with all of my fears, doubts, and worries, I'm sure it'll turn out just fine. From my understanding so far, this is pretty hard to screw up. I could probably pee in a carboy, pitch some yeast, and everyone will just say "Yeah, just let it ferment for 3-4 weeks, bottle it for about 3, and it'll be just fine.

That was the plan. I'm sure I'm just a little freaked about my first real attempt. Even with all of my fears, doubts, and worries, I'm sure it'll turn out just fine. From my understanding so far, this is pretty hard to screw up. I could probably pee in a carboy, pitch some yeast, and everyone will just say "Yeah, just let it ferment for 3-4 weeks, bottle it for about 3, and it'll be just fine.

So you are looking to brew up some BMC then? Just do not forget to triple hop your pee. That is what makes all the difference.:D

So you are looking to brew up some BMC then? Just do not forget to triple hop your pee. That is what makes all the difference.:D

I wasn't planning on it, but now that I actually think about it I'm sure it would go over very well with all the other college kids here...

Wow, lots of people on the boards are living in the area! I live in Longmont and work in Loveland. Would be cool to meet up sometime down the road.

Yes to a homebrew meetup. I keep an eye on the Mile High Monks, but haven't been able to make one of their meetings yet. I'd be up for hanging out and drinking homebrew tomorrow in Denver if anyone's interested.

I currently haven't bottled anything yet, but in the next week or so we we can start a CO Front Range Meeting thread. If someone has a nice big place, we can try to make it a semi-big deal. The old pros can offer advice, and newbies can bring bottles to be critiqued...

Yes to a homebrew meetup. I keep an eye on the Mile High Monks, but haven't been able to make one of their meetings yet. I'd be up for hanging out and drinking homebrew tomorrow in Denver if anyone's interested.

Where in Denver are you? I live in City Park/Whittier/Five points. Apparently I am in the middle of all three. I am always up for homebrews or a homebrew meeting at say the Cheeky Monk or... anyplace with beer

I'd be up for it too, no doubt! My first batch ever should be bottle conditioned in about 5 weeks (racking to secondary tomorrow)...which would be good because I'm busy with paperwork all this weekend (work permit / legal permanent residence for my lovely wife, who happens to be from Japan), then I might be gone the weekend after that, then family is in for Thanksgiving the weekend after that.

Soooooo...yeah. I'm up for any small gathering in a few weeks, but if anyone wants to start a thread about a larger CO gathering in mid-Dec, I'm all about that too! Whaddayasay, folks?

Back