New in NJ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJNewb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m a newbie in NJ. I’m working on my first brew now (just went in bottles today). I’ve been lurking awhile and have picked up a bunch of tips so I thought it was time to join in.

Thanks all!

I actually live in NJ and work in PA so I’m Bronzdragon in reverse.

First brew is a NB Block Party Amber extract kit. I have a Hefeweizen kit on the way for batch number 2. Along with a wort chiller, a new spoon and a how to brew book. Ironically this was sold to the wife as an “affordable hobby”. I may be in some trouble

“affordable hobby”

When I first started, that was an idea I had. Now, all I can tell you, is that if you enjoy it, start breaking it to her slowly, start with small equipment purchases, so she doesn't have a heart attack when you want to buy a full on three tier system.

Good luck!

LOL!

That’s my plan. Today the book arrives, tomorrow the spoon and the rest on Thursday.

I just have to figure out how to tell her I want build a fermentation chamber and get a kegerator.

It will only take a few rounds of bottling and you will see the benefits of kegging. I bottled for several years, putting off the kegging because of money. But once I changed over, I never really went back. The only things I bottle currently are my Dubbels or Quads, in Belgian bottles or meads/wines. If you have questions, feel free to just mail me.

The beer didn’t turn out half bad. Maybe a little sweet for my taste but I’ve had much worse. I’m going to brew my second batch in a couple days.

Keep practicing and studying. It took me a long time to brew really good beer. Now I brew everything I drink at home.
Even though I probably have $1000 invested in my brew gear, I'm probably saving $100 a month by not buying beer.

I've made good beers with extract and all-grain, but the one thing that I noticed when I switched over to all-grain was that I was getting a better ferment and less residual sweetness. As you move forward, on your next brew, make a yeast starter and ramp up a larger yeast population to pitch. Also, when the wort is going into the bucket make sure you aerate it good. You don't have to have an O2 wand, just use a slotted spoon to slosh it around good and introduce a lot of oxygen. Those two things should help your ferment out. Keep on brewing!

Thanks guys,

I’m doing a Hefeweizen extract kit from NB tomorrow. My thought being I tend to drink a lot of that style so I know what it’s supposed to taste like and I’ll have a better sense of any off flavors.

I got dry yeast with the kit. I was going to rehydrate first this time instead of just pitching into the wort. Would it make sense to do a starter with dry yeast? I’ll definitely try the slotted spoon trick, I just shook the bucket for a couple minutes last time.

I think all grain is in my future but I want to get the basics down first before I lay down the money for an all grain rig.

Rehydrating will definitely help. But, put a starter kit on your list of things to get going forward. Having a larger yeast colony to pitch helps out in a more complete fermentation. If you underpitch yeast, they get stressed out and either die off too soon or cause off flavors. I wouldn't worry about it now, but get a flask, stopper (with hole), a pound of dme and another airlock and you'll be set to make starters going forward. /cheers

Rehydrating will definitely help. But, put a starter kit on your list of things to get going forward. Having a larger yeast colony to pitch helps out in a more complete fermentation. If you underpitch yeast, they get stressed out and either die off too soon or cause off flavors. I wouldn't worry about it now, but get a flask, stopper (with hole), a pound of dme and another airlock and you'll be set to make starters going forward. /cheers
I’ll do that I was going to try out liquid yeast next anyway. Might as well go whole hog.

Back