New Homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshf128

Reaction score
Howdy Ya'll.

My name is Josh and I'm in Fort Worth, TX. I had been wanting to get into Homebrewing for a while but hadn't taken the plunge until last month. I am a member of a subscription box service called Bespoke Post and they had a 1 Gallon Homebrew setup (minus a brew pot) for $45 that came with two recipe kits; one for an Amber Ale and one for a Blonde Ale. Both were BIAB recipes, so a decently traditional introduction rather than an extract kit or Mr. Beer. I convinced a friend to buy one as well and we brewed up one of each a couple of weeks ago. Aside from a few newbie mistakes (didn't sanitize a strainer, forgot to take OG readings) everything went pretty well. I bought an 8 bottle wine fridge second hand for cheap and both of the gallon jugs fit perfectly in there. Fermented 2 weeks and bottled last Saturday.

So far SWMBO has been a good sport and has at least tacitly approved of the activities, but she herself does not enjoy the wonders of beer (more for me, right?). I've started gathering equipment for larger batches, such as a 3 gallon carboy (purchased) and 5 and 6 gallon carboys from a friend at work who just had them laying around. I also already had a 7cf chest freezer, the contents of which I was able to redistribute/dispose of, so a larger fermentation chamber is now available for larger batches. I've got a temperature controller (ITC308) en route today along with some other misc accessories. I'm also expecting to receive a couple of additional BIAB 3 gallon kits from Northern Brewer today: a Bourbon Barrel Porter to age until next winter and a Dead Ringer IPA to be enjoyed ASAP.

Brewing those might get a little exciting in a 16qt pot, but I've read some of the tips on managing that. All in all, I'm excited to keep learning and look forward to finding additional information here on these forums.

Thanks!
Josh

BTW, DFW has a large representation here on HBT. Can't throw a bottle cap without hitting a Texan. Which is what we do for fun.

Edit: See?^

*plink

Back