New Home Brewer; Introduction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

124Spider

Reaction score
Hi,

My family gave me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas. I brewed it up (a light ale), and the beer is quite nice (improving with age, very noticeably).

Encouraged, I "moved up" a step in complexity, and bought a Brewer's Best kit for red ale (I prefer non-bitter beers), and all the hardware necessary for making the batch.

I brewed it up on Friday, and it's (apparently) happily bubbling away in the closet. Next step will be to transfer it to the secondary jug in a few days.

I'm pleasantly surprised, and quite encouraged.

I just wanted to say "Hi!" to everyone, and warn you all that I'm likely to have questions as time goes on. Heck, I may even get so brave as to try making beer entirely from grains, someday!

Mark

Hi Mark, and welcome to HomeBrewTalk. I think you will like the change from Mr. Beer to Brewers Best. While the instructions that came with the kit may tell you to secondary, the consensus here is to just leave the beer in the primary for the entire time. By doing so you reduce the chance for oxidizing your beer and getting it infected and your beer will taste just as good and turn out as clear. Best wishes for your beer making.

Since you mentioned making your beer from all grains someday, take time to read the stick posts. I read about BIAB, tried it, and am all grain for every batch. The cost to switch to all grain BIAB were covered by the savings in cost of extract by my second batch and would have been much sooner except my LHBS doesn't crush the grain so I bought a Corona style mill.

Back