Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ufph1

Reaction score
So I started brewing a couple months back so my experience isn't massive. But I've read John Palmer, and try to stick by "the book." In terms of all the brewing literature/knowledge I've obtained as far as proper procedure. But with that being said on to what I am sure is a "noob" problem explored ad nauseam. My brewing buddy and I went to bottle my our all grain batch which was a DIPA. Took gravity reading it was good. Tried a sample of the uncarbonated beer. Smelled great had this peachy hoppy aroma, and a slight aloholic note, But nothing major. And considering the high abv I figured no biggy, as it mostly smells of a stone/tropical fruit bouquet. And when I tasted it, I didn't get any alcohol on the taste. So we used a bottling bucket, siphoned from primary, gently mixed in priming sugar, (which I also repitched some dry yeast with the priming sugar, us-05 because of the high abv.) And then we preceded to transfer the beer to the sanitized bottles using a tube and priming wand attached to the spigot. Everything went great so I figured Awesome. I'll condition for 2 weeks then cold crash in refrigerator then try one. Well this was a week ago and I get a message from my buddy saying he cracked one and all the hoppy/peachy flavor seems to be gone. And said it tasted like a similar homebrew beer we had tried that to me was very alcohlic/solventy. So I wasn't there when he tasted it but assuming I know what he means I'd describe the taste as cheap liquor. And it's wierd because you can taste sweet/good flavor beer underneath so I am not sure what's going on
I've heard of fermenting at a temp too high but, I am not sure how a beer can go from god to fusel alcohol/solventy tasting after bottling. I've thought infection, or oxidation but I don't know. As I cleaned and sanitized, and there is no "funky/horsey" flavor, and tried not to splash any beer. I've even thought maybe it's too green, and I am still waiting to try my bottles because I doubt they're fully carbed yet. As he did try it before we were going to. But anyways the question is any idea what would make a beer go from tasting relatively awesome too alcohlic/solventy after a week in the bottle? Thanks for any info and listening to me ramble. I just want to fix this as we've had no other issues.

P.S. we had an uncarbed sample we put in a main jar in the refrigerator because it wasn't enough for a bottle, and I opened that last night and it smells great still, so I dunno what's wrong with the bottles.

The taste does change after bottling. Sometimes accentuating the alcohol or other flavors such as the yeast especially this soon after bottling.

I think it is just too early to tell. Give it some time. They will improve as the taste melds together smoothing those rough edge flavors. It will likely remain boozy but the rest should mellow the overall profile possibly allowing that peach flavor to return.

The taste does change after bottling. Sometimes accentuating the alcohol or other flavors such as the yeast especially this soon after bottling.

I think it is just too early to tell. Give it some time. They will improve as the taste melds together smoothing those rough edge flavors. It will likely remain boozy but the rest should mellow the overall profile possibly allowing that peach flavor to return.
Thanks! Hoping to gain as much knowledge as possible. So any info helps!

Back