New guy from San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeastMaster

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been reading up on homebrewing for a few weeks now on the internet and I have a few books on the way. I've been researching starter kits to do some extract brewing when I return home. I'm currently deployed with the US Navy so I have a good amount of time to research. I'm hoping to find someone in the San Diego area that I can run through a brew day with before I do my first. But who knows, maybe it will be more fun going in semi-blind.

Welcome! What ship? I really loved being stationed in S.D., although as a submariner, most of the time we were cruising.

Hello all,

I've been reading up on homebrewing for a few weeks now on the internet and I have a few books on the way. I've been researching starter kits to do some extract brewing when I return home. I'm currently deployed with the US Navy so I have a good amount of time to research. I'm hoping to find someone in the San Diego area that I can run through a brew day with before I do my first. But who knows, maybe it will be more fun going in semi-blind.

I did all of my brewing blind, and it really is an adventure. I think that you will be able to get through the extract kits without too much issue. They really are as simple as making Lipton soup. Just boil, add hops, add extract, cool, and ferment.

Once you get hooked on this hobby (and you will get hooked!) you should let me know, and I will gladly run you through an all grain brew day. I'm in South Park, which is pretty central and I know a thing or two about making beer. Welcome to the obsession.

Welcome to Brewing. Its a very rewarding hobby, I'm sure you will be fine brewing your first beer. As Carnevoodoo said, buy a extract kit and just follow the directions. Great way to make good beer your first time.

i was in the navy too, and got out many years ago, so i know what you're going through. i'd be a retired master chief if i'd stayed in ;) . let these guys here help you out and teach you. my brewing advanced very fast by watching, reading, and learning

I did all of my brewing blind, and it really is an adventure. I think that you will be able to get through the extract kits without too much issue. They really are as simple as making Lipton soup. Just boil, add hops, add extract, cool, and ferment.

Once you get hooked on this hobby (and you will get hooked!) you should let me know, and I will gladly run you through an all grain brew day. I'm in South Park, which is pretty central and I know a thing or two about making beer. Welcome to the obsession.

I'll definitely have to hit you up for an AG day sometime after I get back. I live in Normal Heights so I'm only a few minutes away. I'm down at Hamiltons a few times a month when im actually home.

I'll definitely have to hit you up for an AG day sometime after I get back. I live in Normal Heights so I'm only a few minutes away. I'm down at Hamiltons a few times a month when im actually home.

Oh, rad. I'm going to be living 3 blocks from Hamilton's starting December 1. It is my bar of choice and I'm friends with most of the people who work there.

You're close to Blind Lady, which I also love.

Oh, rad. I'm going to be living 3 blocks from Hamilton's starting December 1. It is my bar of choice and I'm friends with most of the people who work there.

You're close to Blind Lady, which I also love.

Blind Lady isn't too bad when they arent packed. I don't go there often.

Another x Navy man here. Good to see shore duty is coming up. It is always a nice change from haze gray and underway. There are many brewers in the area and these forums are a great source of information.

Welcome!

Welcome, I am getting ready for my first brew day also.

I am not NAVY, but I work down at the 32nd st Naval station. I've been hopping back and forth between the Cleveland and the Bonhomme Richard.

Good luck with your first batch and keep us updated!

It is a thousand times better now that they have expanded. The noise levels are lower even when it is full. I really like it.

When did they expand? I dont think i've been in since March or so. My problem wasnt with the noise or the crowded space it was more of an issue with waiting 15+ mins to get a drink order in.

When did they expand? I dont think i've been in since March or so. My problem wasnt with the noise or the crowded space it was more of an issue with waiting 15+ mins to get a drink order in.

Couple months ago. The line is still an issue, but it seems to be better now that the space is opened up somehow. I really do like it, though. I feel pretty at home there.

man, I miss the beer in San Diego. Grew up out there. Great beer is harder to find out here in Phoenix. Gotta make my own!

Back