New game: What wine am I making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostcheesehead

Reaction score
I ordered a wine kit from Williams Brewing, their malbec, and something seemed a little fishy right from the start. The color just wasn't right. I emailed Williams with a couple pictures (attached) and they agreed that I had somehow received the wrong grape concentrate, because what I have looks like a white wine. They immediately shipped out a replacement kit, because they're awesome like that.

But now I have this mystery wine fermenting. I'm really new to winemaking, so can anyone out there help me figure out what I am going to end up with? Also, does anyone have any tips as to how long the wine should sit in my carboy before going into bottles? Assuming that it's one of the varieties usually sold by Williams, it could be a viognier, riesling, chardonnay, or muscat. Or it could be something completely different. Any thoughts?

Malbec1.jpg

Malbec2.jpg

So two questions then: when do I know when heavy fermentation has ceased; and given that the style is a mystery, what kind of wine would you add in to top it off?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

SG still above 1.010 or so, lots of CO2 bubbles in the fermenter. Wait until you rack it off the gross lees before you top it off. You might be able to taste what type of wine it is by then.

Good advice, thanks. Now for my elephant-in-the-room/annoying-newb question: I've never made a white wine before, does what I have going look normal?

Back