New from N. Illinois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bioguy1975

Reaction score
Hello gang,

Well, I finally jumped in with both feet! A co-worker started me out by giving me 3 glass 5 gallon carboys and all of his homebrew books... needless to say I caught the bug quite quickly. I bought the rest of my equipment after reading Palmer's book, purchased a 6.5 gallon as a primary fermenter (5 gals will be used as secondaries) and went to work this past weekend. I started out with a malt extract-derived kit (clone of popular ale brand) with specialty grains to steep. Overall the boil went quite well, was a lot less messy than I expected. The chill went well also, filled the laundry tub full of ice water, brought the temperature down very quick. The transfer to primary was a bit more concerning, as the crap on the bottom kept blocking my strainer up, and I had to use my spoon to ladle it off to clear. Maybe 15-20 minutes to transfer, not optimal.

And then, I forgot to take a sample to determine gravity!! what a noob. :)

My primary has been going for about 18 hours, with steady bubbling out of my fermentation lock, about a bubble every 4-5 seconds. However, my 1-inch-thick kreusen from yesterday has now settled back into a thin dark layer. I am concerned, but I remember my mantra, to relax and have a homebrew... but I have no homebrew yet!!!!!

To be continued, but, in any case, good to have a forum like this out there!

-Pete

The beauty of a extract is that you can forget to check you OG and it will probably be what you thought it should be.
It's when you start mixing other fermentables that you can get differing gravities than expected.

Sounds like you are off to great start. Welcome!

Welcome! Waiting for that first homebrew is the hardest part...until you run out and don't have anymore in the pipeline!;)

Eric

Back