New Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teal

Reaction score
All -

Scored a new 7 cu ft chest freezer for Christmas. Destined to be a fermentation chamber.
I'm planning it out now.

I'm thinking an Inkbird ITC-308 to run temps. Debating on springing for a SS Brewbucket with the thermowell or just continue to use my carboys.

What I don't have a grasp on is - what's everyone using for a good heating element? Are you using something in the freezer itself or something around the carboy/brewbucket?

My basement doesn't have wild fluctuations in temp but I want to be able to control things and I don't know I'd be able to "free rise" as far as I might want to?

Fermwrap or reptile heat mat. I've got both.

The fermwrap is 40 watts, the reptile heat mats typically about 20 or 21 watts. Unless the reptile mat has to overcome very cold ambient conditions, it seems to work pretty well.

I always put a heat mat on my fermenters so when I want to raise the temp at the end of fermentation for the yeast to finish, I just adjust the temperature on my Inkbird.

Heres's how I use them (in this case the fermwrap); the bungee cord helps hold it next to the fermenter, and it keeps the piece of foam I use to hold the temp probe against the fermenter. You can see that on the right side of the fermenter.

minifridge2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back