New England Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy_Sanchez

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

It's been a few months since I've logged in. Just been busy w everyday life. Just bought a home and we are finally settled in and I was able to brew for the first time at my new home.

My friend is on the New England/ Vermont/ hazy/ juicy IPAs/ pale ales. He's been pushing me to brew this style so I did a good 2 weeks of studying the style from forums and blogs. I wanted to share my recipe that I came up with and wanted some opinions.

Forbidden Juice Pale Ale/ IPA
5.5 gallon
8# 2 row
1.5# flaked oats
1.5# dark Munich
14oz white wheat
6.4 oz acidulated malt
8 oz rice hulls

Hops
.5 oz warrior fwh
.25 Columbus fwh
1 oz Simcoe 10min
Flame out
2 oz Galaxy
2 oz Citra
1 oz centennial
I split the flame out into a 2 steeping additions.
Half right at flame out
Half 10 mins after

Yeast
Wyeast London ale yeast III
Made a yeast starter 12 hrs before pitching. 600 ml starter

Dry hop
1 oz Citra
1 oz Galaxy
1 oz simcoe
1 oz centennial
I want to dry hop half the amount for 3 days and do the other half for 2 days.

My beersmith estimated OG was 1.058 I hit 1.052 I'm fermenting right now at 68 degrees.

Hoping it finishes off around 1.012-1.010

Since I added 1.5 # of oats I didn't want a stuck mash. Just wanted my mash flow well. I use rice hulls every time I use flaked oats.

Looks pretty solid and mighty tasty but it could turn out with a bit of a lingering bitterness. You may want to try it again with a smaller bittering charge and see how you like the difference.

These NE apa/ipa's seem to have in common a soft bitterness which has to come from limited early boil hops or none at all.

Looks pretty solid and mighty tasty but it could turn out with a bit of a lingering bitterness. You may want to try it again with a smaller bittering charge and see how you like the difference.

These NE apa/ipa's seem to have in common a soft bitterness which has to come from limited early boil hops or none at all.

Yea after I brewed it started calculating my overall IBU it comes down to 70 IBU. I could have cut my bittering addition to about half. We'll see. I'll report back on a flavor review in a couple weeks.

I'm back w a fermentation gravity and taste review. At day 4 of fermentation I'm at 1.020 and it smells really hoppy. No bitterness at all to my palate. Very soft mouthfeel and it's aroma is passionfruit. I'm going to throw in an oz of Galaxy and Citra while the beer finishes off. I was expecting more bitterness since I used a good amount for bittering. I think I nailed this recipe. Until it finishes off it's still pending. I'll report back in a few days.

Day 7. Gravity is at 1.012. Going to dry hop w an Oz each of Simcoe and centennial for 3 days then keg it.

Gravity stayed at 1.012 just did a final
Dry hop addition w a 1/2 oz each of Galaxy and Citra.

You could also leave your hop additions as is, but chill down to below 180 or so before adding your FO additions... reduce those IBUs a tad.

The IBU isn't an issue. It's actually very mellow. I believe the Galaxy hop and my choice of yeast have made this beer less bitter. I did do a huge fo and dry hop addition. Definitely getting the aroma and flavor I want. Cold crashing and kegging tomorrow

Back