New England/Northeast IPA recipes and pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nus_99

Reaction score
I know there are some other threads out about this style but all i am looking for is your pic and some simple recipe info (nothing to crazy)! Lets get a big thread full of beautiful cloudy juice pics! Cheers!

This one was -
12 Lb 2-row
1 Lb Carafoam
1/2 Lb Flaked Oats
1/2 Lb Flaked Wheat
1/2 Lb Bonlander Munich

London Ale III

Hop with Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra

IMG_0434.jpg

I know there are some other threads out about this style but all i am looking for is your pic and some simple recipe info (nothing to crazy)! Lets get a big thread full of beautiful cloudy juice pics! Cheers!

This one was -
12 Lb 2-row
1 Lb Carafoam
1/2 Lb Flaked Oats
1/2 Lb Flaked Wheat
1/2 Lb Bonlander Munich

London Ale III

Hop with Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra

I love seeing the pics & recipes too, but I think the process is equally as important to the recipe if not more so. To be specific, the timing of the hop additions. Perhaps that would be a good 3rd point to add for the greater good. Other than that, I don't see why this couldn't be the best collective thread on 3rd wave IPA's:mug:

Personally, id like to know how & when people are dry hopping. Recently I've heard of folks adding dry hops on day 1 (aka pre-fermentation) & some folks adding a 1st of 2 or 3 additions on day 3. The recent chatter about biotransformstion & hydrolization of hop oil glycosides seems to be the heartbeat of the juicy flavor everyone is chasing.

I've been dying to do one of these as a Brett how did the hops hold up with the longer fermentation?

Not poorly at all. 100% Brettanomyces fermentations take around 6 weeks to fully attenuate, based upon pitch rate and temperature. I racked it off the yeast cake into a keg after 4 weeks for dry hopping, where it's stayed since under a spunding valve. Brett B produces a lot of pineapple esters so it works very well with New World hop cultivars. Just don't oxidize the beer, that's what will kill those delicate hop aromas.

I would definitely recommend employing a lower bittering rate than normal, and using a substantial amount of wheat/rye/oats to compensate for the low terminal gravity and lack of glycerol in the finished beer.

If you have questions wanting more info just ask. Just want people to feel they don't need to write a novel. Just a simple photo and recipe. Obviously there are many ways to hop with this style and if people are willing to let us know what they have done with good success then great! Keep the pics/recipes coming!!

Not poorly at all. 100% Brettanomyces fermentations take around 6 weeks to fully attenuate, based upon pitch rate and temperature. I racked it off the yeast cake into a keg after 4 weeks for dry hopping, where it's stayed since under a spunding valve. Brett B produces a lot of pineapple esters so it works very well with New World hop cultivars. Just don't oxidize the beer, that's what will kill those delicate hop aromas.

I would definitely recommend employing a lower bittering rate than normal, and using a substantial amount of wheat/rye/oats to compensate for the low terminal gravity and lack of glycerol in the finished beer.

How does using "wheat/rye/oats" compensate for a low TG and can you elaborate on "lack of glycerol in the finished product" please?

How does using "wheat/rye/oats" compensate for a low TG and can you elaborate on "lack of glycerol in the finished product" please?

Low bittering rate compensates for low terminal gravity; i.e. keep your BU/GU ratio low to avoid excessive perceptible bitterness. About 30 IBU is optimal. Residual dextrins and starches from flaked grains help offset the lower mouthfeel and body associated with 100% Brettanomyces fermentation. Brettanomyces, unlike Saccharomyces, does not produce glycerol (the compound responsible for "slick" mouthfeel) so without the use of adjunct, a 100% Brett beer will taste quite thin. Flaked grains preferred, with usage in excess of 20% of the grist.

This is my Five Tornadoes IPA, so named because of the 5 hop varieties used: Citra, Galaxy, Simcoe, Amarillo and Nugget. Typical NEIPA ingredients and processes. Turned out great.

9181ec535a829c2eb73b5403dd2fc854_640x640.jpg

Back