New England Brew Session & yankee enginuity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would, but that' a terrible weekend for me. Cassie's birthday is Satuday, and all of SWMBO's familty is around all weekend. And, I get to teach my brother-in-law to homebrew on Sunday, so that's out. Sorry, man!

the_bird said:
So you thinking of flying out in March? Awesome!

Sounds like if you, Boston, and Kai can arrange one of those weekends to work for you, the rest of us should be able to make it work as well.

Just wondering if you N.E. guys were still interested in a March get-together? If so, I need to start making firm plans.

I definately am. Check in with Kai, though, since presumably he'd be hosting. If he can't, I'd be happy to - but that'd be a haul for you.

St. Phatty's day might make a good date for doing another brew session. I would be happy to host again, I just need to get brewing some beer cause I just kicked my last keg on Saturday, and I'm stuck drinking storebought from Table and Vine.

Hey Barrett, Welcome back!

Boston, I am sorry to say, DeSalvo didn't do it...

I want to attend, and will watch here for updates!

Well I have yet to brew a beer... But if you guys don't mind an extra.. I'd love to come by and just hang out and watch the process (plus enjoy some good company and maybe a few good brews) I am in Northern Vermont so if it is at glibbidy's again I am definatly in... any further and I have to see about it..

SpamDog

Hippie said:
Hey Barrett, Welcome back!

Boston, I am sorry to say, DeSalvo didn't do it...

I want to attend, and will watch here for updates!

LOL...good catch on BS, I didn't think anyone would recognize him.

My wife asked me to fix the date for the brew day at my place. I was thinking anout the last Saturday in March, which is the 31st. It shouldn't be as cold anymore, but we are still able to brew Maerzens in March.

But I remember there were some folks that planned to come to New England sometime in March and we may want to accomodate them. So, what dates would work best for you?

Kai

Boston said:
What would work best for me would be one of these week-ends: March 3-4, 10-11 or 17-18.

I will be in FL with the girls the week-end of 3-31

Boston said:
I will be in FL with the girls the week-end of 3-31

Sorry I missed your previous post.

Would the 17th work for the others? It's the weekend after St. Patricks day.

Kai

The 17th is St. Patty's day, I believe. We were planning on going to Buffalo that weekend, but SWMBO has the week off so we can do that the following weekend. So, yeah, the 17th works for me.

Thanks for hosting, Kai!

Now, to think about what to brew... hmm... "Double Murder?"

I may be able to manage to make it out for St. Phatty's day. I'll need to scale back and do a 5 gallon batch so I don't need to lug all my stuff to with me. I'll be the minimalist brewer that day, so no decotion mashing. :eek: It'll have to be a straight up single step infusion mash.

So if everybody is fine with the 17th, lets have it that day. I'd really like to accomodate Boston's availability.

As stated earlier, I plan to BBQ a pork shoulder all day, which will make for a nice dinner.

I'll post details later.

Kai

Ooooooo.....

So is this still planned as a family-friendly affair? Not sure how much room you have, and I would hope that we have a pretty good turnout. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help with the prep.

Shouldn't that be Dubbel Murder? I was at Milly's in Manch,NH and had their 'Dubbel secret probation' the other night, it was tasty...

I am penciling the date in, but am also interested in getting Dropkick tickets for that night...

the_bird said:
So is this still planned as a family-friendly affair? Not sure how much room you have, and I would hope that we have a pretty good turnout. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help with the prep.

I didn't plan to make this a family friendly event. Just us guys.
Though we have plenty of room inside and out, I rather do the family thing later. I just don't want to overwhelm my wife. She will probaply be taking the kids to the grand parents anyway.

Even with the BBQ, I don't want to make this into a huge pot-luck where everyone has to worry about bringing something. We'll just have the pulled pork on some bread. If anyone feels he wants to make something to go with it, be my guest.

Kai

Sorry guys but I'm going to have to bow out of this get together. With St Paddy's day on a Saturday I plan on drinking my HB not brewing it:mug:
Taking the Irish Red I brewed last week over to s friends party then heading over to the firehouse to cook pizza and wings. Enjoy and hopefully I'll make the next one.

Kaiser said:
I didn't plan to make this a family friendly event. Just us guys.
Though we have plenty of room inside and out, I rather do the family thing later. I just don't want to overwhelm my wife. She will probaply be taking the kids to the grand parents anyway.

Even with the BBQ, I don't want to make this into a huge pot-luck where everyone has to worry about bringing something. We'll just have the pulled pork on some bread. If anyone feels he wants to make something to go with it, be my guest.

Kai

That makes sense, I'll break the news to SWMBO. I was planning on hosting a fam-friendly event this spring - maybe sometime in May once I get some outside projects finished up.

OK, I am all set. Flying into Manchester on 3-16, flying home on 3-19. Kai, I'll be staying at my father's place in Townsend (Route 119 & Fitchburg Rd.) please PM me your address.
Jeff

Boston said:
OK, I am all set. Flying into Manchester on 3-16, flying home on 3-19. Kai, I'll be staying at my father's place in Townsend (Route 119 & Fitchburg Rd.) please PM me your address.
Jeff

Great, I'll send you a PM shortly.

As the 17th draws closer I will need RSVPs for everybody who wants to come.

Kai

Here are some more details:

Please send me a PM if you want to come. I'll give you the address and my phone number.

I think I will be starting to brew around 8.00p so I can give myself enough time for the Maerzen I plan to brew. I'll also have to attend the BBQ.

I'll see how my brewing scheule looks shortly before that date so I'll have enough lager yeast from a previous batch and are willing to share in case anybody else wants to brew a lager. I have an immersion chiller that can be hooked up to a utility pump in order to recirculate ice/snow water which gets the wort below lager fermentation temp.

Water. I have well and R/O water. The well water is fairly alkaline (I'll post a water report) and contains arsenic at 3x the EPA allowed level for drinking water. That's why we have the R/O system. But I only have a limited number of vessels to store R/O water for the event so we may have to blend both. The latter would work fine for darker beers. Let me know if you want me to keep R/O water for you. I also have all the salts to build water from R/O.

grains: I currently have these at hand in bulk:

Weyermann Pilsner
Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner
Weyermann Munich I
Weyermann Munich II

And can sell them to you for $1/lb which was what I paid for them. Let me know if yoiu are interested so I can put them aside for you.

Kai

No problem I think arsenic adds to head retention, does it not?

;)

Still up in the air whether I'll be there, fellas.
I'd have to bum a burner/keggle off someone again as I do the Texas-two step method on me stove.

chillHayze said:
No problem I think arsenic adds to head retention, does it not?

The previous owners didn't seem to have a problem with it. And I guess the EPA limit was lowered only recently.

The main purpose for that R/O system was brewing anyway :)

here is the water analysis in case anyone cares:

well water / RO water

Ca: 76/5 ppm
Mg: 13/1 ppm
Na: 22/5 ppm
SO4: 33/1 ppm
Cl: 50/5 ppm
Alkalinity as CaCO3: 205/20

Kai

I am working my way towards attendance - I've been doing Sunday's at a friend's bar and he's been begging me to to St. Pattys for 2 years now. I it the biggest bar day around here all year....by a factor of 2 or 3. I somehow gave him a drunken tentative yes 3-4 months ago but I am almost certain I am going to be able to make it.

Either way, I'm also on the fence about whether to bring stuff to do a batch - I'm sure it would be both embarrassing and hugely beneficial to brew alongside you guys but I'm a stovetop home-field fan. Never brewed even close to on-the-road. Kind of intimidating. :eek:

Fiery Sword said:
I am working my way towards attendance - I've been doing Sunday's at a friend's bar and he's been begging me to to St. Pattys for 2 years now. I it the biggest bar day around here all year....by a factor of 2 or 3. I somehow gave him a drunken tentative yes 3-4 months ago but I am almost certain I am going to be able to make it.

Either way, I'm also on the fence about whether to bring stuff to do a batch - I'm sure it would be both embarrassing and hugely beneficial to brew alongside you guys but I'm a stovetop home-field fan. Never brewed even close to on-the-road. Kind of intimidating. :eek:
I did my first AG at the last gathering in VT at glibbidy's. I had to borrow a kettle, a propane burner, propane, immersion chiller (ok everybody borrowed that, except Verminicious who had a Much better CFC ;) ) but it isn't rocket science. Maybe I'll bring my stove and we can split the 4 burners. Have a natural gas hookup, Kai? :)

I'm sure it would be both embarrassing and hugely beneficial to brew alongside you guys but I'm a stovetop home-field fan

Don't you worry. my system is 2 coolers and a turkey frier. Just one step up from the stove top brewing.

Have a natural gas hookup, Kai?

No. I wish we had b/c I really like gas for cooking. The only option would be a propane tank.

Kai

Well my March schedule just got blown out of the water. It seems several of my relatives have decided to visit 2 out of the 4 weeks in March, requiring me to juggle my schedule around accordingly.
At this point it would take a miracle for me to pull of getting to the St, Phatty's day session. I'll keep ya'll posted if any of this changes for the better.

I only have a couple batches under my belt(which is starting to stretch... damn it...) but I'm extremely interested in learning all grain brewing. I've been reading a bunch of stuff, but nothing can replace practical knowledge and experience. So, if you guys don't mind, I'd really like to crash one of your brewing sessions and just learn as much as I can, and help out if possible(not afraid of heavy lifting...) I promise I'll behave and stay out of the way....:mug:

EDIT: I'll bring beer!

the_bird said:
So, who's going? I talked to evanmars, he may or may not be able to make it over with me.... chill, you coming? 2nd St?

Sorry I can't make this one fellas. I've got to work till 7pm then goin out drinkin.

Well, I am very sorry to say that I officially can't make it - which make it two in a row. :(

As mentioned in an erilier post, I got roped into working Friday night and all day Saturday at my friend's Pub. I tried getting out of it, but he has not been able to get anyone else to cover. I'm really bummed about not being able ot show and meet some of you guys, and I'm double-frustrated that instead I'm going to be working. Oh well, at least I should have a sizeable net gain in fundage by the time the weekend it out. That will be a unique St. Patty's Day experience.

I'll be sure to tip a Guiness (on the clock, of course) for you all. :tank:

Back